Popping out for a pint of milk

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
belgiangoth

Popping out for a pint of milk

Post by belgiangoth »

Still learning to ride my bike, but I got a thought in my head - I don't know that I would use it for short distances or commuting. With short local trips the issue of getting on/off, seeing over cars and parking up the curb are greater.
Is this an inexperience thing, or do you generally use a df for short trips?
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Popping out for a pint of milk

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I rarely use a DF.

I am considering a Brompton, for those short trips - but it's more to do with far end storage than the ride itself.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I rarely use a DF.
+1. Use a folder for rail trips and DF for local work if it's raining heavily, but otherwise my Grasshopper does most of the local shopping due to it's comfort, free lower back massage and sheer convenience (prop stand, dynohub lights and compact size), not to mention the bottle holders on the rack bag ;)
RadicalUse.jpg

Previous low racers were a different fish kettle, though.
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Having installed (thanks ICE) a frame lock on my trike it makes using that easier than ever.

The difference for me is mostly in terms of which shoes I'm happy to wear.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Having installed (thanks ICE) a frame lock on my trike it makes using that easier than ever.
Hmmm, I find parking the trike for shopping more problematic than a bike due to its width (and I once did my back in quickly lifting one out of the way of an oncoming pedestrian, which probably colours my view more than a bit).
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Local supermarket has a reasonable set of Sheffield stands
hercule

Post by hercule »

Curious about the frame lock: is that like a "Nurse's Lock" to immobilise the rear wheel? Or is it something to allow secure locking to a post, etc?

The varied shapes of bents make them a bit more difficult to lock up and I've never been confident leaving my pride and joy out of sight. I've got a deeply unfashionable Dutch style bike I use for situations where it's likely to be locked up.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Dutch style lock, immobilises the back wheel and has an associated socket for use with an appropriate cable or chain
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

belgiangoth wrote:Still learning to ride my bike, but I got a thought in my head - I don't know that I would use it for short distances or commuting. With short local trips the issue of getting on/off, seeing over cars and parking up the curb are greater.
Is this an inexperience thing, or do you generally use a df for short trips?

You use the best bike for the job, if you have more than one.
My 'bent isn't a poor urban bike because it's a 'bent, it's a poor urban bike because it's a kitchen-sink-and-all over-engineered tourer so it's not nippy in traffic, is relatively awkward to lock and a relative pain to get out of the shed.

Rather, I use a Brom or a Moulton TSR as my "everyday" bikes (while both are upwrongs, they don't have diamond frames, which are pretty pointless on a lot of non-sporty bikes). If I'm buying rather more than a pint of milk it's the 8-Freight. A whole crate of shopping just placed in the back is the Win Point there, not that it's got a (sort of) diamond frame.

I think a Brom takes a hell of a lot of beating for a convenient runabout. Fold as an option to park, very nippy and manoeuvrable in traffic, luggage very easy on and off, dynohub lighting options, minimal storage footprint, hub gear for reliability.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

What kind of bent?
Kind of like asking if a DF is ok for urban use. No, if it's a TT bike.
But the disadvs tend to be more evident, and the advs less so.

btw Dutch bikes never go in or out of fashion.
Discamper90

Post by Discamper90 »

I only own an ICE Sprint 26 so I have no choice really. I'm happier to unfold it and carry it out of the yard instead of hopping in the car. I think if I had a DF I'd use that for anything less than 2 miles though.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

I use a 30+yr old Stratton three speed folder (+carry freedom trailer) for local shopping, up to 7 miles each way. That's my limit on a saddle, but you've got to love the maneuverability. All my other bikes are recumbents but I'm too nervous to let them out of my sight.