KMX X Class 16" Replacement Front Wheel/s

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
AndyBa

KMX X Class 16" Replacement Front Wheel/s

Post by AndyBa »

I bought an incomplete KMX X class. I'm now realising getting a matching 16" front wheel is going to be expensive/hard to get hold of! The rest of the work required looks straight forward. :{)

I have 1 front wheel 20mm Winzip disk hub a 1"wide Jetset rim with 36 spokes. The chances of getting a matching one are likely to be rare, and the cost of making a pair of replacements is likely very high.....any thoughts on making cut priced replacements?

I'm beginning to regret taking on this challenge tbh but any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Andy
[XAP]Bob

Re: KMX X Class 16" Replacement Front Wheel/s

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Shouldn't be too hard - what axles do you have (or axle attachments)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

One problem with recumbent trikes is that the axles and wheel mounts are usually unique and the hubs re-engineered or modified to work

You may have to go back to KMX for the hubs at least
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

On my old Trice the axles were substantial bolts, and the hubs on them weren't modified (as far as I can tell).

But I imagine KMX ought to be able to supply spares.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
AndyBa

Post by AndyBa »

I probably should have clarified.I've spoken to KMX and the latest spares they have are 1/2" axles. This is an older kart and it has a 20mm through axle. Perhaps the most cost effective solution is to convert to the new style?

I'm used to old style cycle wheels which had ball bearings things have moved on a bit since :{) ! I'd assumed all the hubs were similar now with different sized roller bearings but not sure that is the case.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The axle doesn't have to be continuous - the section attaching to the trike (which is the 20mm I presume) can be sleeved to fit into another hub.

Obviously there are challenges associated with this approach, but it shouldn't be insurmountable.

What are the brakes on the trike? (pic of the other wheel and the empty kingpin?)
AndyBa

Post by AndyBa »

Here's a pic of the axle and the wheel with the axle partially inserted. It has cable operated discs, hence the mounting on the stub axle.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

I guess if I can get some 20mm "downhill" hubs that will be a start, but they are expensive (read I'm a cheapskate!). A secondhand pair would be good if anyone has any ?
hercule

Post by hercule »

Might be worth speaking to Kevin at DTek - he has a prodigious quantity of parts even for rare or discontinued machines....
bobc

Post by bobc »

I have a couple of rims/tyres/tubes for this, maybe some spokes but not the hubs - any use?
AndyBa

Post by AndyBa »

Pmd you Bob
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I was about to say not received then I saw the other bob was here as well :)