to go bent or not to go bent

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
mjr

Re: to go bent or not to go bent

Post by mjr »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I started off by scooting down a gentle hill - then gradually lifted my feet a bit higher.
Then put them on the pedals, then started to turn them...

I then carried on off the end of the slope.

:shock: but I hope you mean along the road rather than Bakelants-style:
(source)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yes, I merely used a level(ish) piece of ground, and then an uphill section...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

The most damage I had from falls during my learning period was to my pride. They were all low speed. There were two reasons -
(a) I'd forget to unclip soon enough and then gently fall over sideways at junctions, lights, etc. In this situation there would normally be an audience - hence the dint in my pride!!
(b) At very low speed, battling up steep hills (15% or more) I might have heel strike, and ...... dying swan into the verge !!!

However, it does become second nature and perseverance pays off. If I were to offer a single piece of advice I'd say make sure you get into the right gear early enough (for steep hills; restarting at lights; slow speed manoeuvres; etc).

I'd offer you good luck. But it isn't a matter of luck. Just get the miles in. But I do offer a welcome to the Dark Side. You'll never look back (well, I don't because I use a mirror :lol: )
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

After having owned three and tried a different three upright trikes we now have an ICE recumbent trike which was supplied by David at Laidback bikes. The latest upright, a Jorvik with 26 in wheels is being retained for the short safe pathway route to Tesco. The ICE has been modified by adding a Panda conversion which was expertly completed by Douglas at The Edinburgh Cycle Company in Granton Road.

We cannot praise them enough for their enthusiasm and commitment to make sure what is supplied is what suits the customer best.

I too had researched beforehand and the usual suspects on this forum played a very useful part.

Good luck