to go bent or not to go bent

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
cyclop

to go bent or not to go bent

Post by cyclop »

Having been an upright rider all my life(65yr old),I,m having a few issues with my right triceps.Many years ago I broke both radii and my arms have been permanently bent,the right more than left which has been causing pain on long rides.I,ve raised the bars which helped but on a recent sportive had pain after 40mls,which ruined the ride.Do I try find a way of supporting my right arm,perhaps adapting a tribar or do I go bent.If the latter, how does one judge a bent to be suitable,without buying one.I,m thinking high with USS.This will be basic stuff to you guys so bear with me.Loads of you out there have been thru the same scenario and any info. would be appreciated.Cheers.
roubaixtuesday

Re: to go bent or not to go bent

Post by roubaixtuesday »

A few years ago I had a medical issue which meant I couldn't ride an upright.

I bought a 'bent 2nd hand. Ultimately the issue was sorted, and later I sold the machine for the same price I bought it, having decided it wasn't for me now I could get back upright.

I think as long as you can afford the cash and buy 2nd hand there is little to lose giving it a go.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The best way is to go and try some...

Where in the country are you?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

dumfries so I guess Edinburgh/Glasgow?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yep - LaidBack Bikes in one or Kinetics in the other (IIRC)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Cheers.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I should also say that I started off with a second hand 'bent (somewhere in the forum archives are my machinations)

As it happens I never sold it, but I would expect to have lost little to no money by doing so, assuming some maintenance...
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I bought my first one last year. Great advice from Bob, and I 'll repeat try before you buy. if you try before buy you will get some idea of what you want. but I would say though they do take a while to get used to. Do you have a preference for 2 or 3 wheel? . There are some good reviews on the YACF forum and one chap, Phil who I think has started posting here as well wrote a great review of Laid back bikes . The post is called entering the dark side. I bought mine from DTek in the Ely area who also does an extensive try before you buy session, and I would certainly recommend if you came South of the border.
NUKe

Post by cyclop »

Have been looking on the laid back website,particularly the reviews ,which,although primarily aimed at folk who already ride bents,have enough info for me.Nazca fuego looks like a good start.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Immediate advice would be that lowriders can be a little more tricky to get used to than highracers and don't be put off by the first hill you face, you'll wonder what on earth you've done, recumbent legs take a few months to develop.

I now can't imagine how I ever put up with the discomfort of and slowness of upright bike.
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

cyclop wrote:Have been looking on the laid back website,particularly the reviews ,which,although primarily aimed at folk who already ride bents,have enough info for me.Nazca fuego looks like a good start.

Give David at LaidBack a ring and he will advise and probably work out the best time for you to go up and get some tests in. Nothing to lose but some figures from your bank balance! :wink:
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

NUKe wrote:I bought my first one last year. Great advice from Bob, and I 'll repeat try before you buy. if you try before buy you will get some idea of what you want. but I would say though they do take a while to get used to.

IME the last point is very relevant, especially if you have a long history of riding 'conventional' bikes. I found the laid back position (albeit, a relatively upright laid back position) terrifying at first, and it probably took a couple of months before I was anywhere near comfortable, let alone the several months more before my legs adapted to the different muscle use! But it was worth it :D
PS: I'd support the buy secondhand approach, with the rider of buying a reputable brand (to protect re-sale value). The Fuego is a very adjustable bike from a decent manufacturer - but see what David at Laidback suggests - enjoy the try-outs ;)
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

When testing it might be worth trying a trike first...
It gets you some experience of the position without having to learn how to ride a bike.

I don't know if others would agree, I'd take David's advice (assuming he's still at Laid Back bikes) on that.

It's different, and exceedingly good fun. But you do need to watch the credit card ;)
hercule

Post by hercule »

I've got a Fuego, bought second hand from LBB a few years ago. David often has ex-demos or trade ins for sale that can be an economical way to get into recumbents. Whilst high racers might be easier to ride, my dinky little legs didn't touch the ground on a basic Pashley PDQ so there was only one way I could go! It's a great machine, very well made, mine has been entirely reliable.

There's a lot to be said for trikes. Whilst bikes are faster, hills are easier on a trike, downhills as (or even more) exciting, and sketchy road surfaces cease to become a problem. The biggest difference is passing traffic - I get much more room on my Trice QNT than on the Fuego (which in turn gets more than an upright bike anyway). I find the trike much more relaxing in the long term and would choose it over the Fuego for long rides, even if it takes me a bit longer to cover the same distance.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I ride three wheels (ICE sprint) or two (Raptobike low racer) depending on weather and load.

Agree with the above, the trike is slower, but I can push it harder down hills and in corners (and I'm no shrinking violet on the raptobike - I have that over at 45 degrees at times)...

There is so much more variety when you get bent ;) :D :mrgreen: