Fall...

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Fall...

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Coming round a corner into a really minor, short, dead end (to motor vehicles) road...

I took it a bit too fast (strava says 22mph), then a car coming out of the road was rather central in the road...
Back wheel hit gravel patch as I tried to tighten the corner...

Falling from a low racer at speed is interesting - bottom, elbow, heel of hand... all a bit scratched, but nothing devastating.

Cross because I've scratched my new pedal, the tailbox and the edge of a seat...
Last edited by [XAP]Bob on 10 Jun 2017, 7:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
plantfit

Re: Fall...

Post by plantfit »

Could have been a lot worse,glad you are ok

Roger
crossy

Post by crossy »

Which way did you fall towards the car or away. I had a close encounter like that except it was a lorry I fell towards it seeing the back wheel coming towards me was scary. I got away with it but it was close I just got back on as you do and carried on.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I oversteered and ended up landing towards 'my' kerb (I.e away from the car)

Driver stopped to check I was OK. Despite his worst possible sin being 'driving a bit central on a narrow road'.
I was the one who carried too much speed into the corner, and slightly overreacted to the (unexpected) presence of a car.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
crossy

Post by crossy »

I've come of a few times now and find I tend to fall to the right I think it's because I'm clipped in and it's my right foot that is the one I unclip to put down first. When I start off my right foot is down and the left pushes off.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'm the other way round....

But high siding a low racer could be bad
hercule

Post by hercule »

I came off my Fuego last winter - came round a bend on a country road to find it completely covered in very slippery mud as the pigs had been moved from one field to another. Back wheel lost it and I came down. Fortunately I was only doing 12mph at the time and apart from having to pick the mud out of everything afterwards, I was OK.

I have come off my BikeE once and that wasn't pleasant... it's a long way to the ground and my hip took the brunt of the impact. On that occasion the front wheel washed out on a mossy spot on the road. It was very painful but at least I could walk away (and I didn't land on my head).

My first bent was a PDQ, I seemed to fall off it a few times (often because I had thought I was on my trike and forgot to unclip :oops: ). The seat frame did an excellent job of crash protection. An little advertised advantage of mesh seats!