Quick Releases on Ice Sprint

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
climo

Quick Releases on Ice Sprint

Post by climo »

I want to put Quick Releases on the front wheels, mudguards and lower seat clamps on my just acquired Ice Sprint. Ice want lots of money for them, £80 odd, which is daft.
Sorry for the numpty questions but can anybody tell me the lengths I need please - are the wheels standard length skewers? Likewise the diameters of the seat clamps.
The trike has a rohloff hub though I need to put a trailer hitch on so need a longer skewer. Just might put a pitlock on that wheel only. Again an idea of length would be helpful.
Tigerbiten

Re: Quick Releases on Ice Sprint

Post by Tigerbiten »

climo wrote:I want to put Quick Releases on the front wheels, mudguards and lower seat clamps on my just acquired Ice Sprint. Ice want lots of money for them, £80 odd, which is daft.
Sorry for the numpty questions but can anybody tell me the lengths I need please - are the wheels standard length skewers? Likewise the diameters of the seat clamps.

The front QR axle is complex as it has 3 diameters.
Outside section is a short 6mm diameter QR axle size just long enough to fit a QR lever on it, middle section is a 110mm long 12 mm diameter to fit the axle hole, inside section is a couple of mm smaller diameter threaded bit to bolt wheel to hub. All made from hardened steel.
Unless you want to remove your wheels regularly I wouldn't bother as they just make the trike wider so harder to fit through gaps. You don't need to remove a front wheel to fix a puncture, if needed just tip it on it's side. I've a couple spare, but ones without a QR lever. Do you have disk or drum brakes ?? If disk then you need a 12 mm spacer to go on the inside as disk hubs are narrower than drum hubs.
Not sure if a 12 mm MTB skewer would work.

Mudguards I think are just a standard 6mm QR bolt, but I don't use them anymore as you cannot get them as tight as plain bolt so the mudguards get knocked sideways more often getting on and off. Don't know where my old ones are.

Lower seat clamps are around 28-30mm diameter p-clips, it's the bolt that has a bigger plastic head that makes them openable by hand. I thought they were standard. Top of the seat takes a 6 mm skewer.

The only ones I now use are the front boom ones. Which I think again are 6 mm.

climo wrote:The trike has a rohloff hub though I need to put a trailer hitch on so need a longer skewer. Just might put a pitlock on that wheel only. Again an idea of length would be helpful.

Which trailer do you use ??
I use a Carry Freedom trailer.
I use a standard back wheel QR skewer, but I get one which has the QR bolt in two parts. A plastic cover over a metal core. I them prise the two apart and reverse the metal core in the plastic cover so it sticks out not in. This gives you a step which now fits inside the Carry Freedom hitch. So a standard back wheel QR skewer now fits but the lever now has to go on the right/chain side.
This also holds the hitch more central on the skewer but it can work loose after a few thousand miles if the trailer is heavily loaded.
The other advantage is less stain on the skewer if you flip the trailer.
climo

Post by climo »

Thanks for your comprehensive answer.
The whole idea is to make folding / dismantling the trike easier - not that I'll be doing that everyday. I'd like to bag the trike and occasionally travel by train and when car camping it'll take up less room in the car.
I hadn't thought about the increased width. I have disc brakes. It sounds like it may be worth paying Ice to get the right thing - what do you think?
Hadn't thought about mudguards slipping. Are you saying you just undo the 2 retaining bolts attaching the mudguard to its bracket or the bigger single bolt that goes into the trike itself. If I take that single bolt off what else am I undoing? Sorry I don't know the tech names of the trike parts as its all new to me.
The boom is the simplest but also the easiest to leave as regular bolts.
The really awkward ones are the seat clips. I have the plastic handled bolts with a nut which needs a spanner on it to stop revolving. I have a dexterity issue made worse by 2 broken fingers from falling off my bike so its more difficult than usual. I was hoping to get some seatclamps to work. What do you think? Ice want £25 for 2 QR's which is outrageous.

I was lucky to pick up a Radical Designs Cyclone used some while ago so sold my CF. I thought I could bag the trike as above and bungee it to the trailer top, put the wheels in the rear (walking) position to get it from platform to platform in a rail station. Whip the trailer wheels off and hey presto I have 2 'normal' bags to satisfy the train guys. No idea if this would work but it's a idea anyway.
Yes the hitch does revolve and had given up trying to cure that. I'm not sure what QR you're describing so a link to a site selling them would be great if you have time.

No doubt I'll have more numpty question soon.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The single mudguard bolt is just a mudguard bolt IIRC, it's not tensioning the headsets.

TBH in a car is the CFT not sufficient?

The ICE designed components will be:
- The right size
- The right strength
- Easy to use

You might be able to bodge other things, but there is mileage in just buying the right things...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
climo

Post by climo »

[XAP]Bob wrote:The single mudguard bolt is just a mudguard bolt IIRC, it's not tensioning the headsets.

TBH in a car is the CFT not sufficient?

The ICE designed components will be:
- The right size
- The right strength
- Easy to use

You might be able to bodge other things, but there is mileage in just buying the right things...

Whats the CFT? I'm toying with the idea of packing the whole trike as above and lifting it onto the car roof rack. Heavy lift though. We've got a good towbar rack but that's got Ms C's bike on it. Looking around I don't think there's any simple answer though Bak Rak may be a way forward
Fair point about the Ice kit and I normally do buy the right kit but I'm a bit appalled at the cost of simple stuff. I mean the 2 QR's for the seat which are just regular stuff for £25!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Compact Flat Twist.

The trike folds, with the rear wheel ending up between the front wheels, but 'flat'

[youtube]lgLAYPw9gFw[/youtube]
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

climo wrote:Thanks for your comprehensive answer.
The whole idea is to make folding / dismantling the trike easier - not that I'll be doing that everyday. I'd like to bag the trike and occasionally travel by train and when car camping it'll take up less room in the car.

If I'm going to bag my trike to get it onto a train, I use a soft Cinelli Bike Bag (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cine ... -prod41796).
The first time I did it I took the mudguards and wheels off. But that takes time and is a lot of hassle to get the wheels safe so you don't damage the rotors.
Now all I to do is seat off, fold the trike, then the whole folded trike will fit in the bag without the seat. It ends sitting on one front wheels so it's stable.
climo wrote:The really awkward ones are the seat clips. I have the plastic handled bolts with a nut which needs a spanner on it to stop revolving. I have a dexterity issue made worse by 2 broken fingers from falling off my bike so its more difficult than usual. I was hoping to get some seatclamps to work. What do you think? Ice want £25 for 2 QR's which is outrageous.

Contact ICE and see if they have any of the old style QR for the lower seat.They were lever closed as opposed to screw closed.
They look like .... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Bicycle- ... 1395168454 ... but not sure if that ones to big by a couple of mm. Maybe a small shim to make it fit.
The QR at the top of the seat is a 60mm long 6mm diameter plain QR.

Hope that helps ....... :D
climo

Post by climo »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Compact Flat Twist.

Of course! A senior moment. :)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'll wager that your dexterity issues are less significant than tiger's ;)

A good man to listen to...
climo

Post by climo »

Tigerbiten wrote:
climo wrote:Thanks for your comprehensive answer.

If I'm going to bag my trike to get it onto a train, I use a soft Cinelli Bike Bag (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cine ... -prod41796).
The first time I did it I took the mudguards and wheels off. But that takes time and is a lot of hassle to get the wheels safe so you don't damage the rotors.
Now all I to do is seat off, fold the trike, then the whole folded trike will fit in the bag without the seat. It ends sitting on one front wheels so it's stable.
climo wrote:The really awkward ones are the seat clips. I have the plastic handled bolts with a nut which needs a spanner on it to stop revolving. I have a dexterity issue made worse by 2 broken fingers from falling off my bike so its more difficult than usual. I was hoping to get some seatclamps to work. What do you think? Ice want £25 for 2 QR's which is outrageous.

Contact ICE and see if they have any of the old style QR for the lower seat.They were lever closed as opposed to screw closed.
They look like .... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Bicycle- ... 1395168454 ... but not sure if that ones to big by a couple of mm. Maybe a small shim to make it fit.
The QR at the top of the seat is a 60mm long 6mm diameter plain QR.

Hope that helps ....... :D

Yes it certainly helps. Oddly enough I'd seen the bag on CR. Does it fit well? I was thinking of taking the front wheels off, bungeeing them to the main body of the trike and cover then with the seat for protection. No idea if this would work though. Do you have much trouble on the train and do you book it on as a bike?
Ice offered me 2 QR's for the seat bottom for £25 - a bit more than 99p each on ebay.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

climo wrote:
Tigerbiten wrote:
climo wrote:Do you have much trouble on the train and do you book it on as a bike?

It all depends on how wide the doors are as to how much hassle it is getting a trike on and off a train.
Some trains the doors are wide enough so the trike goes in unfolded and is parked in the disabled area.
Otherwise I've cycled onto the platform and bagged the trike where the train stops.
Never booked as trikes are not allowed on trains ...... :roll: but if it's bagged then it's an oversized bag not a trike .... :D
But it's a few years since I've got a train as I tended to cycle everywhere.

Another thought .....
If the QR skewers on the seatpost clamps are 6 mm diameter then they could well work for the mudguards as well, it all depends on how much of the skewer is unthreaded.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Another thought is that the disc rotors will need protecting once the wheels are removed as it's very easy to buckle them.

Also the QR skewer on the front wheels has to be unscrewed and removed to get the wheel off.

IMO it's only advantage seems to be that you don't kneed the spanner's.

Getting the right kit from ICE is not that expensive when you consider that it's designed specifically for the trike and you know it's going to fit and work properly and safely.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I still think the extra width ( even though it's only a couple of inches) offsets any advantage of being able to remove the wheels quickly as you can fix punctures without removing the wheels. Thats the main reason for using QR axles.
But if you want to try/see my old one, pm me your address and I'll try to get it in the post.

One word of warning. Once you fold the back wheel up, try not to turn the cranks otherwise the chain will cut the rubber where the chaintubes fold.