Hub dynamo on Ice Sprint

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
climo

Hub dynamo on Ice Sprint

Post by climo »

I've always had hub dynamos and my thoughts were to put one on my trike but I understand that SON are the only manufacturers that make a trike specific dynamo. Ice want £332 for one in a wheel. You can buy a lot a batteries for that.
My question is - are their any other trike friendly dynamos out there?
I've actually got a regular SON which with a rebuild (£60 from SJS) would be fine. No idea if its ok for a 20in trike wheel. Unlikely :(
[XAP]Bob

Re: Hub dynamo on Ice Sprint

Post by [XAP]Bob »

SA also drum brake version.

Your issue with 'normal' dynamos is that the wires end up on the outside of the wheel with no way to get them back...

I have a SON, and yes they are expensive, but it's now been 5 years since I've had to worry about lights... (The SA wasn't available at the time, if I was to do it again I'd get a pair of the SA hubs...)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
climo

Post by climo »

Hadn't thought of that. I don't want to change the brakes.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

If you're on discs already then it's the SON for you...

I can't recall how much the replacement kingpins to go to drum brakes would be... but I would seriously consider it (having had both drums and discs on trikes - I prefer drums)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'm still disappointed that no-one does a cassette hub dynamo at 135mm OLN
climo

Post by climo »

[XAP]Bob wrote:If you're on discs already then it's the SON for you...

I can't recall how much the replacement kingpins to go to drum brakes would be... but I would seriously consider it (having had both drums and discs on trikes - I prefer drums)

Why drums? Does the dynamo cost offset the change to drums? I had thought that discs are better at stopping you.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

climo wrote:Why drums? Does the dynamo cost offset the change to drums? I had thought that discs are better at stopping you.
Drums just work (and need virtually no maintenance), whereas discs need fiddling with several times a year (at least, IME) ;) 2 drums on a trike front axle provide more than enough braking power (again, IME) and are also more aerodynamic (if you are worried about marginal gains).
HTH
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I used to lock wheels on 70mm drums quite easily - so stopping power is not an issue.

As said they 'just' work, in comparison with disc brakes that need cleaning, pad replacement, rotor replacement* etc...

* Oh bother. Just realised that since we couldn't actually remove the SON hub when servicing the trike replacing that rotor might be interesting. Oh well, we'll have to drift it out when the time comes...
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I used to lock wheels on 70mm drums quite easily - so stopping power is not an issue.

As said they 'just' work, in comparison with disc brakes that need cleaning, pad replacement, rotor replacement* etc...

* Oh bother. Just realised that since we couldn't actually remove the SON hub when servicing the trike replacing that rotor might be interesting. Oh well, we'll have to drift it out when the time comes...

Evidently the axle on the "son" is slightly larger than the standard ICE one, the smaller gap coupled with dissimilar metals means it corrodes and seizes quicker!
Try copperslip when assembling and regular maintenance especially in winter.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

nigelnightmare wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:I

Evidently the axle on the "son" is slightly larger than the standard ICE one, the smaller gap coupled with dissimilar metals means it corrodes and seizes quicker!
Try copperslip when assembling and regular maintenance especially in winter.

I know ICE reamed the axle hole out a little the last time they removed my SON hub.
It was removed by loosening the bolt a turn or two, then hitting it with a large hammer until it came loose .... :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

They just didn't want to start smacking it with a hammer when they didn't have to.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Mine needed to be removed as ICE was changing the main frame for an unbent one.
So no option but to hit it with a BIG hammer .......... :lol:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

We had to resort to fairly large bars, and many men heaving and pulling) to get the rear frame section out, but no need to change the wheel.

I'll be greasing and maybe maintaining this into the future when it eventually has to come out...
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

This site shows an effective method of removal.
http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk/how-to-remove-a-stubborn-wheel/

HTH