Tryke tyres

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
climo

Tryke tyres

Post by climo »

My trike came with Tryke tyres plus a set of completely unused ones which I understand aren't very puncture proof esp over flints which are abundant here in Wiltshire. I take about 3 times longer than other people to repair a puncture. I'm not very interested in speed preferring relaxed trouble free touring so I'm toying with the idea of replacing the rear tyre with a Marathon + and something puncture resistant on the front or putting a Slime tube in them all.
Are there disadvantages in doing this?
[XAP]Bob

Re: Tryke tyres

Post by [XAP]Bob »

If you are in a flint area and don't like fairy visits...

Then go puncture resistant.

I'll take the trykers (I don't have flints to deal with).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
canoesailor

Post by canoesailor »

I have a tryker on the front and am in a slate area, I've had no problems with punctures even in Swithland woods last week. But if you are worried fit puncture proof tape. I'd be interested in your Trykers if you are selling them.
hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

I'd endorse the move to Marathon Plus - I've not regretted the change to them from other Schwalbe offerings, all of which were regularly unable to protect me from what's common round here. And whilst there's a certain pleasure to be had from having done a repair on the roadside, in winter, in the dark, and when it's raining, it was the combination of the last three that got me thinking to replace them all with M+. Since fitted, I've only had to repair one puncture - this Sunday last - and having removed the tyre and inner tube, I found the culprit: a tear in a previously repaired hole in the inner. So the unbroken protection against flints continues over a year on.......

(I was thinking the additional weight of a M+ could be offset by no longer needing to carry needle-point pliers - to remove flints that lodge in the tyre wall).

BTW - I'm also not interested in the maximum speed possible on my trike, so any possible increase in rolling resistance is academic.
climo

Post by climo »

Thanks. I'm going to fit M+ on the rear if not all 3. Maybe Big Ben on the front. Not wasting my time on the road fixing punctures.
Do you find they spin out on hills?.

Offers on the Trykers on PM please
hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

climo wrote:Do you find they spin out on hills?.

No more than the previous tyres did - and that was probably more due to me trying to "power" up the hills. I've learnt to "spin" up big gradients since, and make the most of the lowest gears on the Hase Lepus. That seems to avoid slippage for all but the odd occasion.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I've only really had issues with traction when on snow/ice or a very steep, very wet bit of road...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
climo

Post by climo »

hoarder wrote:Hase Lepus.

I'd really like one of those but couldn't justify it.
hoarder

Post by hoarder »

I couldn't have justified buying a new one either - mine was pretty much a "barn find" purchase a few years ago; it needed quite a bit of work to bring it back to a usable state. More of a "Beast of Burden" than a racehorse though. :)
tank

Post by tank »

I have M+ on my Street Machine Gte and have had for the last 7 years or so. I have in that time only had 1 puncher. The thorn didn't get through the tyre untill I put a heavy trailer on the back 2 days after it entered the tyre.

I am not worried about the rolling resistance but in my mind I save time by not having to stop and fix punchers, weight is not an issue as I am heavy so if I want the bike and me to be lighter I need to go on a diet as that will save a lot more weight than changing tyres.
Lonely recumbent rider

HP Velotechnik Street Machine GTe
Metabikes Metaphysics
Hase Pino
HPV Velotechnik Scorpion
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I've gone for a different option, comfort, as I don't mind the odd puncture every couple of thousand miles or so.
I like wide tyres at a lowish pressure to help with road buzz.
So I have been using twin Supremes (42-406) on the front and trailer and a Big Apple (50-406) on the back, all at around 60 psi.

Not sure what I'm going to fit on the front/trailer as 406 Supremes are no longer made. I my just go BA's all round. I also find 406 M+'s far too hard to fit single handed. The only time I've done it I ended up bending a metal tyre lever after breaking a plastic one.

Also I think the BA has the thickest amount of rubber in the build so I can get a few more thousand miles out of it before I wear it out.
I have worn a Marathon Racer out in around a thousand miles on a very wet-hilly tour.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

But you, like me, drive like an absolute loon!
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I think I beat you, two dead frames to one ............. :lol:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Depends if you count the frame from my original trice...

Which tore practically in half...

It was reasonably old, but was crash damaged.
This was just wear and tear, and took ICE looking at it to notice (and they added the drain hole to my trike as well, 'cos there were clear tide marks inside)