Loaded touring on a two wheeled recumbent

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Stradageek

Loaded touring on a two wheeled recumbent

Post by Stradageek »

Haven't tried it yet but perceive a problem with trying to slug up long steep hills without dropping to 'stall' speed

Is this why most long distance recumbent touring seems to be done on trikes?
Tigerbiten

Re: Loaded touring on a two wheeled recumbent

Post by Tigerbiten »

I recon I see roughly 50-50 two wheel vs three wheel bents when on tour.
I admit that a two wheel bent is more likely to be on a short credit card tour than a three wheel bent.
And if you do along an European river or two (EV6) you don't do a lot of climbing.
But it is possible.
Rob Archer

Post by Rob Archer »

I regularly tour on my Streetmachine Gt. No problem, even with full camping kit. You do go slower uphill but I find the bike handles downhills better with a bit of weight. I think the key is to keep the weight low down.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my GT-S7275R using hovercraft full of eels.
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

As Rob says above recumbent bikes certainly can tour. See the page 29 of the 'photos of your recumbent board' for a picture of mine fully loaded for a winter camping trip on Skye, Uist & Barra. Defiantly not flat.
swscotland bentrider

Post by swscotland bentrider »

I've toured on both three and two wheels. The trike was the best load carrier but it was slow. As I tour with two mates who ride conventional bikes it was too unsociable. Three loaded tours on two wheel recumbents. An ICE B2, A Nazca Gaucho and a Fuego. All were loaded camping tours on flat to moderately hilly routes. The ICE was too flexible but all three acquitted themselves very well. Slow up hill yes but not enough to stall. Only once did a get off and push :oops: . Both Nazcas were superb. The Gaucho was loaded with four panniers and a rack pack! I kinda overdid the luggage on that one!
swscotland bentrider

Post by swscotland bentrider »

I should have added - the Fuego was overall the best because of its low bottom bracket height. That meant it could be launched in almost any circumstances with almost no thought.
True it didn't carry as much as the Gaucho but that was a good thing it imposed some discipline!
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Chap I met at Laid Back Sunday a couple of years ago is in the middle of his second long distance tour on a Fuego with his son. You can follow his blog here if you like. https://takingthelongwaysite.wordpress.com/
So it can be done on 2 wheels. :wink:
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

I tried a fuego a few months ago at Laid Back expecting to love it on account of how well regarded it is by very many people. I didn't get a good feeling from it though, probably because I've only ever owned high bents (the two wheelers at least) so it felt odd being so low. That said it was only a short couple of laps around the block, I might have felt differently after a longer ride.
hercule

Post by hercule »

I found that bike fit makes a big difference - I posted about it elsewhere on this forum. After several years of riding my Fuego more on the challenging side than the relaxing side, I now find myself riding it without a second thought. Reducing the tiller effect of the handlebars has gone a long way to achieving this, I think. My only complaint now is the weight... it is a solid machine in many ways!
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

Would recommend reading Laidback Around the World in 180 Days.

This was done by Richard Evans on a Bachetta Giro 2-wheel recumbent and he describes very well all the equipment and gearing he spec'd for the bike.

Proceeds go to RoadPeace so it is for a good cause.