Car rear-mount rack for recumbent, recommendations?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
max

Car rear-mount rack for recumbent, recommendations?

Post by max »

Hello

I have a Challenge Mistral, and my wife an ordinary upright, hitherto I've used a Thule ProRide rack which holds both bikes perfectly. The problem is that I'm about to buy a new car (Ford B-Max) and although I can get roof rails for it to re-use the ProRide I wondered if anyone had any experience of rear-mounted racks suitable for a recumbent?

I'm thinking of a change simply because the rear-mounts seem easier to take off when they're not being used.

Thanks Max
Geoff.D

Re: Car rear-mount rack for recumbent, recommendations?

Post by Geoff.D »

I've used the normal type of rear rack (two prongs, high level, straps and clips to attach at the top/bottom of the hatch door) with no problem. It's old and I can't remember the make.

I don't dismantle the bike at all, mainly because the seat isn't quick release. It takes my recumbent fine (with a little more overhang at the sides than normal). The tie down straps are adaptable for the strange shape. As you say, it's convenient and the rack comes off and stores away with no problem.

The difficulty I foresee is in trying to fit an upright and a 'bent. Unless you take the seat off there may not be room.
max

Post by max »

Yes, I was thinking of getting a 3 bike rack to allow more room, and weight.

What make/model was your recumbent?
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

max wrote:What make/model was your recumbent?

My 'bent was built by a frame builder called Lee Cooper in the 1990's, for his own pleasure. I bought it from him in 2004 (ish).

Lee Cooper.jpg
Lee Cooper.jpg (29.69 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

max wrote:Yes, I was thinking of getting a 3 bike rack to allow more room, and weight.

I have a rack that was the predecessor (by about 20 years!) to the Saris Sentinal (I think Evans carry it). My rack theoretically takes 3 standard bikes, but I have used it for a recumbent plus a standard bike. I've also used it (with a couple of extra bungee cords) for a trailer bike, kids bikes, and various other contraptions, including our childback tandem (at a diagonal, so as not to stick out too much).
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
canoesailor

Post by canoesailor »

max wrote:Yes, I was thinking of getting a 3 bike rack to allow more room, and weight.

What make/model was your recumbent?

Three bike racks are generally not wide enough the bikes it is made for are arranged to overlap. I looked at this possibility before having mine made.