Wet feet?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
climo

Wet feet?

Post by climo »

New to triking and debating whether your feet get wetter on a trike than they do on a DF. I been told that they get colder. Would boots keep you dryer / warmer? Or do people wear shoes + an overshoe?
I can see that due to the angle of the legs water is driven up the leg esp from cars.
Any opinions?
[XAP]Bob

Re: Wet feet?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Water drips down legs on a DF into any boots.
On a 'bent it drips off my calf, or trickles up the back of my thigh....

Note that trickling up the thigh isn't necessarily as bad as it sounds, but it doesn't trickle into the shoes...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
climo

Post by climo »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Water drips down legs on a DF into any boots.
On a 'bent it drips off my calf, or trickles up the back of my thigh....

Note that trickling up the thigh isn't necessarily as bad as it sounds, but it doesn't trickle into the shoes...

By that I take it that you get wetter than on a DF as it spreads further. Would walking gaiters help? In cold, dry weather do you get colder feet than on a DF?
hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

I noticed I got cold feet far more on the recumbent, then I remember I did whilst on the DF. But that may have been because I was more comfortable spending time riding on a recumbent - hence, I rode for longer periods - compared to riding a DF.

The longer rides made me realise that three "cold spots" needed attention: Neck, Arms and Feet. Snood and skull-cap solved one problem, existing fleece augmented with both arms cut from an old fleece dealt with another, and cold feet avoided by purchasing SPD shoes one-size too large, then lining with a thermal insole (like a spongy space-blanket), and wearing two pairs of socks when really cold.

Wet feet problem got solved by wearing neoprene overshoes - as long as I don't immerse either foot in any pools of water, my shoes and feet keep dry. Not having to put your foot down (I ride a trike) helps too, so rain runs to the heel when I'm clipped in. Only problem I have is as the seat position is lower, spray from riding through puddles has the potential to wipe the grin off my face. Overshoes also cut down the wind-chill on the feet, so they're dual-purpose.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

On a 'bent you *tend* to be clipped in, and have the wind hitting the sole of your feet.
Depending on your shoe this may or may not make the cleat a cold spot more effectively than on a DF.

My feet are rarely wet when I get in from the rain on the 'bent...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
climo

Post by climo »

hoarder wrote:I noticed I got cold feet far more on the recumbent, then I remember I did whilst on the DF. But that may have been because I was more comfortable spending time riding on a recumbent - hence, I rode for longer periods - compared to riding a DF.

The longer rides made me realise that three "cold spots" needed attention: Neck, Arms and Feet. Snood and skull-cap solved one problem, existing fleece augmented with both arms cut from an old fleece dealt with another, and cold feet avoided by purchasing SPD shoes one-size too large, then lining with a thermal insole (like a spongy space-blanket), and wearing two pairs of socks when really cold.

Wet feet problem got solved by wearing neoprene overshoes - as long as I don't immerse either foot in any pools of water, my shoes and feet keep dry. Not having to put your foot down (I ride a trike) helps too, so rain runs to the heel when I'm clipped in. Only problem I have is as the seat position is lower, spray from riding through puddles has the potential to wipe the grin off my face. Overshoes also cut down the wind-chill on the feet, so they're dual-purpose.

Wow, that's a lot of clothes. I'm leaning towards Shimano XM9 boots with thick socks and if needed then overshoes. Shimano XM7 shoes fit better though. After your post I'm leaning a bit more.
Would a waterproof seat cover be a good idea?
climo

Post by climo »

[XAP]Bob wrote:On a 'bent you *tend* to be clipped in, and have the wind hitting the sole of your feet.
Depending on your shoe this may or may not make the cleat a cold spot more effectively than on a DF.

My feet are rarely wet when I get in from the rain on the 'bent...

My thoughts exactly on the SPD. I'm surprised at the dry feet bit although I guess your feet may be higher than on a DF.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

More importantly - what is going to spray them? There is no wheel kicking up rubbish into them.

Water doesn't run down the legs to the feet (because it's not very downhill), so it's just getting rained on.
I use Shimano MW700 boots when it's actually wet. I have got them wet once, and that was a torrential downpour. My feet were drier than the rest of me for a very long time, and never got cold - but they did take a few days to dry out properly (that's what waterproofing does, it works both ways)

Despite normally being a profuse sweater, and needing bare feet much of the time I don't find that my feet get cooked in the boots either. If they fit you then I highly recommend them (I wore them this morning, so it's not as if they are winter only either)
hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

Wow, that's a lot of clothes. I'm leaning towards Shimano XM9 boots with thick socks and if needed then overshoes. Shimano XM7 shoes fit better though. After your post I'm leaning a bit more.
Would a waterproof seat cover be a good idea?

Should have said - that's what I work down from - I can always take off a layer and stuff it in the sidebags if I've judged it wrong and have too much on for the cold days. I found my first pair of shimano shoes were too tight to take anything other than a thin pair of socks, so were suitable only for summer. When they needed replacement, I went one size up, for the insole/sock flexibility. I found the tips of my toes felt the cold first, so going one size larger gave me room for two pairs of socks - or just one in summer. I'm sold on overshoes - wind chill & rain protection - with the caveat that when it's warm, they'll trap the heat.......

I've not seen the need for a seat cover - but my trike has a mesh seat, and if it's raining, it only gets wet when I get up. When I had a hard shell seat, the cover allowed any rain that dripped down to pool under my backside. Not much, but tell-tale darker patches on trousers when standing up.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Drill a drainage hole in the hardshell seat.
hoarder

Post by hoarder »

Probably not a good idea if your seat mounting bolts are in the same place as the lowest point in the seat :( - no need to weaken the GRP if all it saves is the occasional damp patch. Just refer to it as a water butt. :wink:
climo

Post by climo »

hoarder wrote:I've not seen the need for a seat cover - but my trike has a mesh seat, and if it's raining, it only gets wet when I get up. When I had a hard shell seat, the cover allowed any rain that dripped down to pool under my backside. Not much, but tell-tale darker patches on trousers when standing up.

Surprises me. I'd thought that going through the merest puddle would make your backside wet.
climo

Post by climo »

[XAP]Bob wrote:More importantly - what is going to spray them? There is no wheel kicking up rubbish into them.

Water doesn't run down the legs to the feet (because it's not very downhill), so it's just getting rained on.
I use Shimano MW700 boots when it's actually wet. I have got them wet once, and that was a torrential downpour. My feet were drier than the rest of me for a very long time, and never got cold - but they did take a few days to dry out properly (that's what waterproofing does, it works both ways)

Despite normally being a profuse sweater, and needing bare feet much of the time I don't find that my feet get cooked in the boots either. If they fit you then I highly recommend them (I wore them this morning, so it's not as if they are winter only either)

I would think they might fit. I'm concerned about the lack of sole grip that one reviewer spoke of
canoesailor

Post by canoesailor »

I posted a reply a couple of hours ago but it hasn't come up. What has gone wrong?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Lack of sole grip? Maybe on something really shiny, I haven't had an issue...

Generally puddles aren't nearly deep enough for me to get a wet behind