Chain twist on hpvspeedmachine

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
belgiangoth

Chain twist on hpvspeedmachine

Post by belgiangoth »

At the front chainring the chain comes on straight but then it appears to twist about its axis as it leaves the chainring. I have not had an issue because of this but I wonder whether it is indicative of an issue in the setup.
Chain appears straight at rear derailleur.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Chain twist on hpvspeedmachine

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I have seen this with a half twist in the return run of the chain on my trike.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
recumbentpanda

Post by recumbentpanda »

Check the chain is seated correctly on the return idler, and not the wrong way up. If that is not the problem then somebody connected up the ends of the chain with one of them the wrong way up - easily done on a bent with a crossover chain path and or lots of chain tubes. Don't ask me how I know this :oops:
OldBloke

Post by OldBloke »

Put a mark with a texta or white-out to see whether the chain twists a full 180 or just twists a bit as it enters the chain tube and then twists back as it comes out. The original return chain line on my trike used to cause the chain to twist out a bit and then back again - not really a problem. If its a 180° twist then you will need to fix it as it will increase chain wear.

OB