Seat and weight distribution on Ice Trike

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Tilley

Re: Seat and weight distribution on Ice Trike

Post by Tilley »

Well and truly tested set up today with ascent of Draycott steep. The road has been resurfaced so smooth and even, however it had rained and the surface was still wet. No wheel spin at all so clean if slow ascent without stopping. The other advantage of moving everything back, is that the boom length is reduced, therefore reducing the overall length of the trike.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Excellent...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Tilley wrote:Well and truly tested set up today with ascent of Draycott steep. The road has been resurfaced so smooth and even, however it had rained and the surface was still wet. No wheel spin at all so clean if slow ascent without stopping. The other advantage of moving everything back, is that the boom length is reduced, therefore reducing the overall length of the trike.

Probably reduces boom flex too. A theoretical disadvantage is that the trike will be more tippy.
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

UpWrong wrote:
Tilley wrote:Well and truly tested set up today with ascent of Draycott steep. The road has been resurfaced so smooth and even, however it had rained and the surface was still wet. No wheel spin at all so clean if slow ascent without stopping. The other advantage of moving everything back, is that the boom length is reduced, therefore reducing the overall length of the trike.

Probably reduces boom flex too. A theoretical disadvantage is that the trike will be more tippy.

With the reduced weight on the front I did think it would mean the trike was less stable when going downhill and cornering. Before I did the suspension conversion I did notice that the steering was lighter, but since the conversion it is now harder to tell. Generally though I haven't yet noticed any real drawbacks.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Tilley wrote:
UpWrong wrote:....A theoretical disadvantage is that the trike will be more tippy.

With the reduced weight on the front I did think it would mean the trike was less stable when going downhill and cornering. Before I did the suspension conversion I did notice that the steering was lighter, but since the conversion it is now harder to tell. Generally though I haven't yet noticed any real drawbacks.

I suspect UpWrong was referring to the fact that your mass is now slightly closer to the line joining a front wheel contact patch centre with the same on the rear wheel, ie the line about which the trike rolls when it falls over ;) Wouldn't let it worry you though :roll:
"42"
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Tilley wrote:The other advantage of moving everything back, is that the boom length is reduced, therefore reducing the overall length of the trike.

If you've pulled the front boom in so you can still reach the pedals, haven't you let the back boom out the same distance.
Otherwise the distance between the two seat mounting points will be different or does the seat if in the shorter length ??
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Front boom right at the front, no attachment points on it
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Front boom right at the front, no attachment points on it

If you move the seat back, then you also need to move the front boom so it still fits you.
But if you move the front seat attachment point back, do you also need to move the back seat attachment point back to keep the distance between them the same.
If so then back seat attachment point is on the back boom, so the back boom moves out.
Front boom in and back boom out equals the same length trike, but with the front wheels slightly further forward .......... :D
Hence my query on the trike the same length

One reason my Sprint is longer than standard is I've had to move the back boom out by ~6" so I can use the upper set of seat attachment holes to minimize the seat angle.
I probably cannot do this mod safely due to having to pull the back boom out further.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ah, Ok... see what you mean.

IIRC the description says it makes the seat a shade more upright
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

I did adjust the seat attachment point and the rear carrier fixings, but didn't need to adjust the rear boom. Hence overall length of the trike has been reduced and the weight distribution on the rear wheel is increased.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

If you use the "TT bracket" then you don't have to extend the rear boom.
BUT...
You can't use the "TT bracket" if you have a rear rack fitted.

I have also used the FB bracket on mine and it does help with traction and I find that I'm not lifting the rear wheel under heavy braking any more.
Haven't noticed any stability problems as of yet.

P.S.
Dont forget to adjust the handlebars back a bit or you'll find your shoulders aching due to reaching further forward. :oops: Guess how I know. :roll: