Seat and weight distribution on Ice Trike

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Tilley

Seat and weight distribution on Ice Trike

Post by Tilley »

I have an Ice Trice T and have on a few occasions when climbing steep gradients experienced wheel spin.
Whilst looking at the Ice accessories page I noted that the bracket they manufacture to reposition the seat for long legged riders, they also recommend for off road use, as it distributes more weight to the rear wheel.
Has anyone used the bracket to achieve this effect and if so how effective was it, is it really worth the money?
[XAP]Bob

Re: Seat and weight distribution on Ice Trike

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Never used that bracket, but there are two other options...

- Put panniers to the rear
- Use the front wheels as per a wheelchair to get three wheel drive (only works at low speed)

I honestly can't imagine it makes a huge difference, it's a couple of inches IIRC.
If you are regularly getting wheelspin then on what surface and with what tyre at what pressure?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

I have inherited one of these brackets, and being a short-leggedy-beastie, don't need it. I was planning to sell it on.
Before I do, do you want to borrow it to try out, and see if it makes a difference to you ?
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

Yes please, If it works we can then discuss price. I will PM you my details.
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

Hoarder I have sent my details twice can you just confirm that the message has been sent successfully. Cheers
hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

Yes, I now have your details, but a bit strange - you say you sent two PMs, but only one was eventually received ???
I will send a parcel out tomorrow, so you should have it to try by the middle of next week. It'll be good to hear if you reckon it makes a difference.
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

Hi Hoarder thanks for that I thought there had been a problem with the first Pm. I look forward to receiving the package and will contact you once I've given it a try.
hoarder wrote:Yes, I now have your details, but a bit strange - you say you sent two PMs, but only one was eventually received ???
I will send a parcel out tomorrow, so you should have it to try by the middle of next week. It'll be good to hear if you reckon it makes a difference.
hoarder

Post by hoarder »

OK, it's on its way - should be with you later this week. :)
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

All arrived safely, unfortunately no time to attempt fitting today.
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

All fitted and tested I have sent a private message to ask if you would sell.
hoarder

Post by hoarder »

Payment now received - thank you Tilley. :)
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

No problem a good result for both of us.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Can a I ask my original questions again?

What surfaces were you slipping on?
Sounds like I was completely wrong and that the bracket has made a significant difference.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

Hi Bob,
Initially I found that the rear wheel would spin on steep inclines where the surface was wet, loose gravel or dirt, no surprise there.
I then thought that changing to a knobbly tire, Schwalbe mad mike, may improve the situation. However whilst the Knobbly tire may help on grass or mud it made matters worse on the road. Whilst attempting to climb a very steep section of road in the Mendips, Draycott Steep, I realised that I lost traction unless the paved surface was completely smooth. I haven't yet attempted Draycott steep, but on the hill where I first encountered the problem the adjusted weight distribution certainly seemed to have effect. I hope this helps.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I found it the other way, a rougher surface gives better grip.
That is as long as the road is dry and gravel free.
But I'm running BA's (50-406) on the back, so I've the maximum amount of rubber on the road