Attaching a trailer to my trike

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
grazie

Attaching a trailer to my trike

Post by grazie »

Looked for info and advice on this, but didn't find what I'm after.

I've got an ICE XL with Sachs hub and cassette gearing. I want to hook up my Bob Yak clone trailer, but it needs the special skewer to attach to. Can't be done with hub gearing, Has anyone got around this? The way I see it, either

1. Change the rear wheel to have a standard hub. The problem with this option is that I like/need the low gearing I get with the hub/cassette gearing combo. Towing a laden trailer I'd like/need the low gearing even more.
2. Find some the way to attach the trailer to the trike, most probably by modding the trike frame, but I don't like this option,
Last edited by grazie on 3 Sep 2017, 9:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Re: Attaching a trailer to my trike

Post by thirdcrank »

I can't speak for a clone unless it's an exact copy but you can use o BoB trailer with a hub gear. Just replace the original wheel nuts with the special ones which have the trailer fittings. Possibly called Nutz.
==============================================
PS Memory better than I thought :D

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/trailers/10 ... read-type/

Once fitted, they work in the same way as the fittings on the q/r type. Obviously, they are not q/r but tightened with a spanner.
grazie

Post by grazie »

Thanks thirdcrank, that's great. The Bob Yak skewer works with my clone, so I don't see why these shouldn't too. They have to be the most expensive pair of nuts I've ever come across. If I had access to and knew how use a lathe, I'd make some myself.
Last edited by grazie on 3 Sep 2017, 8:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

You shouldn't really use a single wheel trailer with a bent trike.
On a corner the trailer wants to lean and the trike doesn't.
This puts more stress/strain on the frame. Not only on the trike but also on the trailer.
Also depending on how close you ride to the limit, the outward twisting forces will tip you over earlier/quicker.

The main advantage of a single wheel trailer over a twin wheel one is the width, or lack of .... :P
That not really a factor on a trike as the trike is normally the same width as a twin wheel trailer.
I've used a large Carry Freedom trailer for ~7 years & ~50,000 miles behind my bent trike now.

Apart from that I cannot help ....... :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Depending on where you are... I have a two wheeled trailer in my garage that I'm not using much any more.

It's officially a kiddie carrier, but it could have the roof removed fairly easily...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
grazie

Post by grazie »

Yes, I can see that could be an issue with heavy loads and high or highish speed cornering. So long as I keep the weight and the speed down, I don't think I'll strain anything. I certainly won't be going anywhere near a speed that'll tip either the trailer or the trike over. However, I do accept that it would be easy to forget about the stability and stress issues after you've been using for a while and then get caught out.

I already have a used cheap kiddy carrier, but it needs new wheels that I've not been able to source as yet. I'm near Canterbury.
Last edited by grazie on 3 Sep 2017, 9:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The stresses can be quite high - you're trying to twist the whole trailer to keep it upright against its natural desire. Two wheel are really far preferable when towing with a non leaning vehicle.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
grazie

Post by grazie »

So what trailers do folks use with a bent trike that'll take a lot of punishment? I'd be saving myself £32,49 by not purchasing those Bob Nutz from SJS.
Last edited by grazie on 3 Sep 2017, 9:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I have a two wheeled kiddie trailer - 20" wheels (same tyres/tubes as the trike) with a solid plastic floor which I've used for years - it's the same track width as the trike, so unless negotiation tight slaloms it just tracks faithfully

Many people use the carry freedom range...
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Many people use the carry freedom range...

I'm one of them ....... :D
Again a large Carry Freedom trailer has 20" wheels so only one size inner tube/tyre is needed.
I've bolted an aluminium box straight to the frame.
So I've ~100 liters volume and the top of the box is ideal for a 20 watt solar panel.

Downside is cost, ~£600 ........ :shock:
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I looked at trailers a few years back. Take a look at Tredz, they seemed to sell trailers cheaper than most.

Carry freedom large £300
Burley flat bed trailer £208
Burley nomad £332

Or from JE James

Outeredge trailer £150 (only frame of trailer with 20" wheels, you'll need to fix something onto it to take bags. Outeredge sell things like wire cages, wooden platforms, boxes, etc. with prices from about £35-70i think depending what you get).

All these are two wheeled trailers and might be worth it if you get the use out of such things.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

As above, there is an issue with one wheel trailers, and both ICE and HPVelotechnik used to advise against them

When a one wheel trailer is used on a bike, they both tip in a synchronised manner which is whythey are good at handling

However when on a trike, the trailer still tries to tip, and comes uo against a stationary rear triangle.

The result is that it places a twisting stress onto rear triangle

Just how much this damages the frame in reality I don't know, but for tow major manufacturers to recommend against, I opted for a two wheel Carry Freedom, and a Radical Cyclone

The latter is a brilliant piece of kit - a holdall with wheels, so no problem on trains, or hotels