Crossing the Thames/Getting through London

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
grazie

Crossing the Thames/Getting through London

Post by grazie »

What are the options for getting across the east Thames, avoiding central London? I've never used the police(?) cycle crossing at Dartford, but wouldn't have thought they'd take trikes. Also, pretty sure getting a trike onto the Gravesend Ferry wouldn't be possible either. Are there any other ferries or tunnels that can be used? I'd assume you'd have to with walk the trike for the pedestrian tunnel(s), which isn't great with a trike and don't think it'd be possible if any steps were involved.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Crossing the Thames/Getting through London

Post by [XAP]Bob »

A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I know someone in Essex who has taken her trike on the Gravesend - Tillbury ferry. She is disabled, and uses it for mobility, so I'm not sure if she gets special consideration on account of that.

I would contact them https://www.thurrock.gov.uk/ferry-servi ... ry-service about it.

Otherwise, the service vehicle at Dartmouth should be able to take a trike. Some information about both crossings also on this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107953 and the linked ones.

edited to add: The Greenwich foot tunnel (I think) has a lift. IIRC there were reports on here of it not working a couple of years ago.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I used the Gravesend - Tillbury ferry about 6 years ago with my trike.
But last year when I tried to use it again, the trike was just too wide to go down the ramp. It was the extra width due to the SON hub (~1/2") that stopped me ....... :(
If I could have walked it down the ramp with the back wheel to one side, it probably would have fitted. But my back was bad at the time and I didn't want to risk it going click again ..... :cry:
But no one objected to me trying to use it, so it's doable ..... :D

Didn't feel like trying to use the Dartmouth crossing so passed on trying that one.
I ended up cycling in and camping in the Lee valley for the night, then cycled out after crossing the river at London bridge the next morning.
moultoneer

Post by moultoneer »

Woolwich ferry, free, takes bikes, the bike areas are large enough for a trike.
grazie

Post by grazie »

Thanks for the replies. Souds like Woolwich is the one to go for.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I last used the Gravesed - Tilbury a little over 12 months ago. Another passenger was on an upright trike, which he wheeled on/off easily enough. Service runs Mon-Sat excluding bank hols.

However the ferry operator changed recently and I believe they are using a different vessel.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
grazie

Post by grazie »

I last used the Gravesend ferry in 2009, so things must have changed. There's no way any trike could have been wheeled on then and I don't think there would have been anywhere to put it once aboard,
mjr

Post by mjr »

grazie wrote:Thanks for the replies. Souds like Woolwich is the one to go for.

I would. It's a full-size road ferry, so worst case if you have a really oversize trike that won't fit in the bike area, you'll probably be parked at the front of the cars.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
teamonster

Post by teamonster »

Woolwich Ferry is fine for bikes, trikes etc. Use it quite a bit with both, filter your way to the front of the queue and they will let you on and off first. The bike parking spaces are right at the very front of the ferry, plenty of room for a trike