Passing on single track roads

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
PAB855

Passing on single track roads

Post by PAB855 »

Those of you with many miles under your belt on recumbent trikes, will have experienced situations where there's nowhere to go to allow an oncoming or overtaking vehicle to pass.
Can I invite you to give me the benefit of your experience? What would you advise?
MBH is using a recumbent trike to enable her to have independence following a stroke. Getting on and off the trike is a very slow process after which moving it around is up to me after I have parked my bike and helped her to maintain her balance until she is steadied by her walking stick. Imagine Mr White Van Man waiting patiently while this slow motion circus entertains him!!!!

We don't intend to use any routes which would be like this, but the situation may arise and it's better to be prepared.

Cheers
UpWrong

Re: Passing on single track roads

Post by UpWrong »

It's never happened. I've always been able to get on the pavement/verge whatever.
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Thanks UpWrong

I am asking because just last Thursday, while we were walking on a single track road which had grass verges, each with a one foot vertical face next to the road, the local bin lorry came along filling the road. MBH had a four wheel walking aid which I lifted up on to the top of the banking above the verge. We then stood on the road, facing the verge with our toes against it as the truck eased past leaving us a few inches of clearance. After he passed, the opposite verge showed where it had been bulldozed leaving a wheel width of squashed grass and earth on the tarmac. If we had had the recumbent, it would have blocked the road unless it was lifted right off and up on to the bank. I do feel that would be a very stressful situation. It's acceptable to have to reverse a car in that situation, which is easy compared to the predicament we can find ourselves in.

Let's hope we never find ourselves in that situation.

Cheers
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Same as any other vehicle - one of them has to reverse.

In this case you have no reverse gear, and hopefully a blue badge?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I tend to just sit there as I've found that WVM is happy to back up for you. If he's being a bit bolshie about it, I start to back up and jackknife the trailer. Straighten everything up, start back and re jackknife. He soon gets the message it's quicker for him to back up ...... :twisted:

If the road is flat, you can always do a 3/5/7 point turn (flintstone for the backward bits) in the road if you decide to back up to the nearest gateway. If slight uphill then just let the trike roll back slowly works as well.

The only vehicles you really need to try to get out of the way of is stuff that cannot back up easily. Very big stuff or things with trailers.

The only place you really have trouble with this is Devon and Cornwall with narrow lanes and banks both sides. Most other places tend not to have banks both sides or if they do it's not for very long.
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

Since taking up riding a trike I have been very pleasantly surprised by the attitude of car drivers on single track roads whether they are following me up hill or meeting me head on. I even had a situation recently where I meet 2 cars coming up hill and they courteously reversed back a short distance to let me pass.
mark aldridge

Post by mark aldridge »

Most people are fine with the situation and you even find the bolshie ones either eventually reverse up or become intensely embarrassed when they realse the true situation.
I have found that as a trike rider it is a natural assumption that you are disabled and allowances made.
If in doubt just sit there and wait for the situation to sort itself out, smiles and an idiotic look tend to help.
Large agricultural machinery on the move can be negotiated by removing your flag and cycling under them as I found out on an Hampshire lane last year.
Local vehicles tend to get to know you and appreciate the situation.
Don't worry, it is not a problem, just part of the joys of recumbent riding.
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Thanks everyone.

Let common sense prevail Your comments have been very helpful.

Cheers
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Ride under them! Yikes! :shock:
mark aldridge

Post by mark aldridge »

I feel I need to expand on my advice to ride under large agricultural vehicles. It was an immense combine harvester with all it's cutting bits raised raised and swung in to allow it to drive on the roads. The driver suggested riding under and TOTALLY switched it off. There was plenty of clearance and I feel I ducked down as a natural reaction rather than having to.

I put it down as an interesting experience and it saved me turning round and cycling back to a passing place.

Not to be tried with lower vehicles !