How much lighter would a high racer be?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
belgiangoth

How much lighter would a high racer be?

Post by belgiangoth »

I have a speedmachine which I am learning to ride. As I am over 6’ I thought that eventually I will move to a high racer, prob something with less or no suspension (my df is a fixed gear, I have no prior suspension experience).
How much lighter would you get without entering sl2 territory?
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Tigerbiten

Re: How much lighter would a high racer be?

Post by Tigerbiten »

How long is a piece of string ......... :P

The best recumbent reviews I've found are at "Laid-Back Bikes". http://mccraw.co.uk/laid-back/
Thay will probably give you a better idea of what's out there.

Luck ......... :D
D.TEK HPVS

Post by D.TEK HPVS »

Your current machine is ranked as a sporting tourer or when it was first launched HP claimed it was Audax capable .
As a general rule with two wheel recumbents ?
If the on the road weight matches your favorite "upwrong" diamond frame .
It would be reasonable to achieve a 4% gain because of better aerodynamics and once above 20 mph perhaps 6% .
But the real factor is comfort ...........so you will never complete a ride and walk around like a wild west cowboy .
Novice recumbent riders often expect to much too soon before they have settled in to riding in a laidback style .
Tip ..........If you are riding alongside friends on DF's .
On downhill "run away train" sections .....whatever you do ....avoid free wheeling past them :wink:
They really get upset and demand to know where you fitted the electric assist motor !
Or for added fun ...........pedal backwards as you pass them :lol:
In the recumbent market place the headline word is always "Speed" this and "Racer" that
No maker suggests "Comfort" which is a real shame because that is the main reason cyclists are drawn towards recumbents .
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

What does the Speedmachine weigh? Around 37lbs, maybe more? A Bacchetta Carbon Aero is around 22lbs. Even their aluminium Corsa is 25lbs. But you will miss the suspension and watch out for heel strike.