Where to start with recumbents?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Tangled Metal

Re: Where to start with recumbents?

Post by Tangled Metal »

D.TEK HPVS wrote:Hi Mr Tangled Metal .......whilst you have been debating all the variations on recumbent designs ?
The Optima Lynx 20/26 rear suspended 2 wheel recumbent with a rather attractive price point and just within your stated budget .
As advised and described to you in various messages (yet to speak to a human on the subject of possible first purchase :) )
Update ....A client who has completed basic test rides
Has paid a small holding deposit prior to the Lynx arriving into stock
So he now has first refusal .
With all used machines on offer I can only sell them once :roll:

That's good, I hope he takes it because it seems a good recumbent at a good price. I think I've got a few other things to sort out before I make a purchase. Probably got in contact a bit early. I'll probably get in contact directly again (by phone / email, not through website).

One of my issues is I've never ridden a recumbent and no recumbent retailer close enough to test ride. If Dtek was based closer I'd probably make the journey and do a test ride. For space and money reasons the recumbent will replace my only usable bike so I've got to be sure it'll work out. It's one in one out deal with bikes in our house.
Last edited by Tangled Metal on 25 Oct 2017, 8:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
D.TEK HPVS

Post by D.TEK HPVS »

A sister Optima Lynx has just been purchased from a private vendor in Scotland
The new owner had a long but worthwhile trip .
Plenty of pictures and sensible comments :D
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/oops- ... xx.223073/
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

How does recumbent braking compare in feel and efficiency compared to uprights?

I've got used to mechanical disc brakes before that I had hydraulic brakes and further back Shimano Exage 300EX or 400EX brakes on my ancient road bike. The earlier Shimano brakes were nowhere near as good as the disc brakes but not just because the pads weren't adjusted well and needed replacing. Poor maintenance I'm afraid but also not good brakes in the first place.

What brakes are good for recumbents? Disc brakes are better obviously for stopping more efficiently / quickly. But on a recumbent what rim brakes are good? What's a common brake for recumbents especially used ones?
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Tangled Metal wrote:How does recumbent braking compare in feel and efficiency compared to uprights ??

As a bent has lower CoG, this means it's a lot harder to lift the back wheel off the ground.
On my bent trike under maximum braking with twin front disks, I can just lift the back wheel off the ground. But I tend to skid a front wheel or two first.
So you have to be careful on a group ride, you don't stop to fast ...... :P

On a tadpole trike, there is normally less weight on the back wheel than on a bike, so the back brake tends to be just used as a parking brake.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

from my limited experience, in terms of braking, rim brakes work as well as for an upright, hydraulic discs are probably the best mechanical Disk will work, but are finick with the setup. It s a lot easier to do a stoppie, than on a upright with too much front brake. Back brakes seem to be slightly more efficient, both of these are dependent upon weight distribution of the particular recumbent.

Go visit Kevin you won't regret it. he's not pushy at all take up his 1/2 day try out session. I think its around £25 he has lots to try and you will get a feel for which way you want to.

The call of the dark side doesn't go away.
NUKe

Post by Tangled Metal »

NUKe wrote:The call of the dark side doesn't go away.

OH dear! What have I done? Bank balance could be dropping soon.

New house or new recumbent? Hmmm! It truly is the dark side. I want the recumbent!
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

belgiangoth wrote:Keep your df, you always need a second bike, try a couple bikes by any means but just get the thing that appeals to you, apparently we all make mistakes with our first purchase (just like with dfs) so don’t worry about it (the bike will hold its value and you’ll get a good trade in price from most recumbent dealers if you decide to upgrade/change).

I think this is sound advice.
The two types of bikes do different things well.
A bent can be pretty testing in heavy urban traffic places with lots of parked cars etc. And a mirror is essential!
However on the open road there's nothing finer.

Keep your old upright for a few weeks at least, see how you get on.
Upright is always my preferred steed in steady rain for example.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Upright is always my preferred steed in steady rain for example.
+1 :lol:
"42"
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Tangled Metal wrote:How does recumbent braking compare in feel and efficiency compared to uprights?
Lower CoG, so generally 'better' but IME be aware of using too much rear brake in an emergency on a fully suspended bent - it won't help rear wheel traction ;)
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I don't have a rear brake on my trike - in the dry a stopped is easy, even with panniers out back. Those twin discs up front do a rather good job of stopping me (have to watch out for people behind).
On an audax I had a club bunch following me at speed and my GPS signalled a right turn - I shouted and braked, deciding against taking the turn... the entire group passed me, braking as hard as they could whilst I stopped easily. Only the last couple of the group made the corner...

On the Raptobike the front wheel does basically all the work. The rear is fine for speed control, but the front has OODLES of grip for stopping...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Tangled Metal wrote:How does recumbent braking compare in feel and efficiency compared to uprights?

<snip>

What brakes are good for recumbents? Disc brakes are better obviously for stopping more efficiently / quickly. But on a recumbent what rim brakes are good? What's a common brake for recumbents especially used ones?

Recumbent braking is typically better than a solo upwrong because you don't have to worry about going over the bars if you lock the front wheel, assuming you have the raw power to lock everything up anyway, but these days you generally do.

In terms of plain ooomph, V-brakes are perfectly adequate, but if you're going to go to town you might as well go in style and if your forks won't do discs then Magura hydraulic rim brakes are IME excellent. Completely even pad wear and easy to change, very easy to adjust and you can put in lots of power with fingertip sensitivity.

My Streetmachine originally had Vs and they were fine, but then I tried HS11s on a Mistral and Saw The Light as to how hydraulics were nicer in use. I upgraded the Streetmachine to HS-33s, being promised a close-to "fit and forget" installation, and that's been a fair description after over a decade. Never given any trouble, never had to bleed them.

Some 'bents, notably trikes, have drum brakes and they work fine too.

On an upwrong the main restrictions are what bars you have (usually drops or not) affecting your choice of levers. Most 'bents will take anything that goes on a MTB, even if the levers are upside down on a USS machine.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Graham

Post by Graham »

I see that certain trikes are now being offered, from new, with electric assist.

That might be really interesting for this hilly area. Access routes to the quiet lanes are often busy.

I suppose it would be possible to fit E-assist to a second-hand trike.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

squeaker wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:Upright is always my preferred steed in steady rain for example.

Embrace your immaturity

Puddles at speed on a trike are one of the best experiences!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Graham wrote:I see that certain trikes are now being offered, from new, with electric assist.

That might be really interesting for this hilly area. Access routes to the quiet lanes are often busy.

I suppose it would be possible to fit E-assist to a second-hand trike.

Most trikes have a single rear wheel which allows retro fitting

One of my Gekko has a Bionx
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Cunobelin wrote:
squeaker wrote:

Embrace your immaturity

Puddles at speed on a trike are one of the best experiences!

I understand the fine and honorable sentiment!
But it's not the puddles but the fact it feels so much more exposed to the rain itself.
It will also drive though the zip of standard clothing more than on an upright.
Then there's the posterior side of things...drain holes essential! :shock:
A fairing solves a lot of this but where I live it's a significant weight penalty.