Where to start with recumbents?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Cunobelin

Re: Where to start with recumbents?

Post by Cunobelin »

squeaker wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:I know it's a sample of two brands but it looks like American recumbents are more upright sitting.
Now look at Bacchetta's performance bikes... :wink:
As for the general US 'bent market, you need to consider how the average American adult shape would fit... :roll:

There is also the popularity of the mesh seat in teh US and the Carbon fibre in Europe
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I was thinking of the classic stick framed recumbent when looking at the easy racers. The bachetta looks like a classic European / anywhere but USA recumbent.

I wonder about the frame of the average American switching to recumbents. I would expect most ppl trying out recumbents come at it from an existing interest in and use of cycles. Chances are they're not obese so the seat thing seems to just be a preference. Afterall hpv offer both types of seat. Indeed looking at it the mesh seat seems to be a premium over the base seat.

Just my observations and possibly wrong.

So far this is research as I've not got the cash for one. If money was no interest I'd be interested in the HPV brand in particular the folding two and three wheeled models. Bachetta if I wanted a big wheeled recumbent but prefer the HPV recumbents.

Obviously I'd try a few out before purchase. It's just that they all seem to be opposite ends of the country. Glasgow or London / Thetford. Although west country recumbents are based in derbyshire I believe.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I bought a second Hand Linear way back in 1991

The rear frame cracked and was replaced, my original Peter Ross Trice also failed and was replaced

That however was the cost of early frames and designs, and part of the attraction of pioneering

I have seen the development of various companies and designs, my Hurricane was the first in the UK so (I believe) was my Gekko

I have (and still ride) long and short wheelbase, low and high seating positions and a varirtybof suspended, half suspended and rigid frames

I remember riding an original Street Machine with elastomer suspension when that was the height of technology

I think you still need that attitude, this is still a developing market with new fashions, designs and claims for each

As above, you need to try and see what suits YOU best
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

My 'bent is an HPVel Streetmachine GT (steel frame and non-adjusting seat compared to the current model) and I've ridden Grasshoppers, Speedmachines, Scorpions (and now out of production, 20/16 Spirit, 20/20 Spirit and even further back the Wavey budget model). And they're very nice, but they're not necessarily for everyone.
My Streetmachine is affectionately nicknamed the Panzerfiets. It is stereotypically German over-engineering, which works well for what I want (pretty sedate touring with camping luggage) but means it isn't exactly nippy when it comes to accelerating, particularly up a hill. They're all pretty chunky, which does translate as reliable and comfortable but not necessarily visceral excitement (down hills excepted, particularly on marginal surfaces where the full sus and hydraulic brakes mean you can usually leave most people behind).

On paper the Grasshopper was my wife's ideal bike, but she found it a bit meh and ended up with a Nazca Fiero (I wasn't very inspired and would have taken the Fiero too). On paper the bodylink seat will adjust to fit you better than a static seat, but I've never managed to get one as comfy as my older static one.

So worth trying out, but you'll know after some time at the bars whether any of them are the thing for you.

Do try different bar options on the same machine if you can. I don't really get along with hamster bars. A friend doesn't really get on with scorpion bars, some loathe underseat.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

There's been a lot of good advice given, but it won't mean much until you spend some time riding. For me, a dilemma is that that light, non-suspended bikes are at the mercy of our potholed roads. A steel Giro was acceptable with 40mm tyres but an aluminium Metabikes was unacceptable with any tyres. My RANS Stratus XP is amazing engineering because the ride is good on 28mm tyres but it's not aero. Most fully suspended machines are north of 38lbs by the time you add guards and a rack, and some efficiency is usually lost with the single pivot swing arm suspension. I have one trike, one SWB and one LWB and they are all gloriously different to ride and each satisfying in their own way.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Trikes - tadpole, delta, etc. What's what and what's best?

Two wheeled recumbents - what's the difference between high, medium and low racers? Height above the ground I guess but what is a good example of each? What's the difference in speed, comfort, feeling and handling? Which is easiest to start off on? Is it going to be that simple? Say a low racer you can get on and ride straight away for example. I doubt it's that simple.

I like the hype of hpv recumbents. The "no sag" suspension that apparently doesn't sap your pedaling effort the way a full suspension mtb does. I think they're nice looking recumbents and well made.

I think a 20"wheel recumbent could be the best option for me. Don't know why though it's just a feeling.

Anyway I appreciate all the advice and recommendations given by obviously some very recumbent passionate ppl. The knowledge and experience of most ppl replying really shows how enjoyable recumbent riding is. You don't get ppl spending thousands of pounds on multiple variations on a recumbent theme without the being significant enjoyment to be found riding one

As to me, well it's a dream to try one and own one, just like a tandem. Only with recumbents I've not got one of the best retailers an hour away in a direction I go from time to time (jd tandems is an hour away and offer rental days where you can try out tandems). Three hours to Glasgow and my nearest recumbent shop. I'm enjoying the research which I will take advantage of one day hopefully soon. However the most is spent on a bike is £750. I doubt I'll get any recumbent for that. Cue some big saving effort to afford one.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

I’ve heard it said a lot that after you get used to riding s recumbent you will discover that what you want out of the bike changes and therefore no matter how much you researched and test rode your first bike, - you need a new one.
With that in mind I just bought one I could afford that was local. Two years later and I still can’t ride the thing, but then my learning is limited to 30 mins every couple of months, ymmv. I have stuck it on a turbo to try and develop the muscles, as I can happily pedal all day on my fixed, but 15 mins is tough on the bent.
Keep your df, you always need a second bike, try a couple bikes by any means but just get the thing that appeals to you, apparently we all make mistakes with our first purchase (just like with dfs) so don’t worry about it (the bike will hold its value and you’ll get a good trade in price from most recumbent dealers if you decide to upgrade/change).
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Tangled Metal wrote:I was thinking of the classic stick framed recumbent when looking at the easy racers. The bachetta looks like a classic European / anywhere but USA recumbent.
Hmmm, to me Bachetta with its simple stick frame screams US 'bent, whereas most European designs curve the main frame to lower the seat height. Dave McGraw has a few words to say on the subject :shock:
"42"
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

But it's less upright in seat imo. American recumbents I've seen look different. Bachetta looks closer to European imo even if not a bent beam.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Among the earliest British racing recumbents were the "stick shape"

IN fact the ONLY SWB designs were this shape

The Speed Ross (later to become ICE)

The Kingcyle:

The Velocita:

Even hone the European models became more available, the design remained the same. The early Street Machines were a "Straight stick":

So were others like the Radius Hornet:

squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Cunobelin wrote:Among the earliest British racing recumbents were the "stick shape"

IN fact the ONLY SWB designs were this shape.
I take your point, but the key word is 'earliest'. IMO European designs advanced with technology, whereas US stayed with 'if it ain't broke' (with some notable exceptions amongst the one-man bands)
"42"
D.TEK HPVS

Post by D.TEK HPVS »

I make a point of stocking a good choice of intro bikes that do not cost a fortune ! :)
Of course if money is no object I have very special pre-owned ICE trike for sale at £14500 (yes you read that right :wink: )
Back down to earth .........hopefully no forum member choked on the fruit cake having read the last line . :roll:
Most are proven and capable machines albeit older designs .
So if the novice recumbent rider needs a lower rung to climb on the ladder rather than just dream its worth a call to seek advice .
However common sense suggests some riders will have limited choices
If on the scales at 18 stone plus (I have catered for 30 stone riders in the past)
or extreme heights 5 foot zero or 6 foot 12 ins or more or less !
I may have to work a bit harder to provide a suitable machine .
So sorry to say there is no such thing as one size fits all in the recumbent world .
Our novice chum who has asked lots of questions but sadly lives all those miles away from any recumbent dealer .
mentioned 2 key facts ......................and I quote
Did I say I was 6'5" tall and 86kg? I look tall but not big, but with those measurements sizing on uprights isn't easy. Mostly the biggest bike size most main brands do as standard. Recumbents seem more universal or with just two sizes. Do some have a maximum user size / weight?
I wrote a private message to him offering help and advice based on 25 years +++ selling recumbents in all *shapes and *sizes
I have had no response so far .
**Would anyone like to buy a 4 wheeler x 4 seater side by side socialable , all riders are recumbent and have independent pedalling
Swiss made by a company called ZEM .........has anybody on the forum got one or has pictures of the beast ?

Used prices start from £275 and the average first timer will spend up to £850 and still get real value for money .

Hope that assists .........Kevin D
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Terribly sorry about not replying to you. I started with an email but tiring family time at the weekend and a long week stopped me finishing it. It sounds like you are THE one I need to see about recumbents. It sounds like you're the only one that caters for all rider's needs judging by what you've said about value recumbents.

BTW lottery win you'd get a long list of recumbents to find. Dream purchase would be touring trike and touring 2 wheelers plus a couple of speed machines for later on.

Real world, well what could you find that's acceptable for a 6'5" and 13.5 stone person for say £800? Can you buy a recumbent suitable for a first timer for that? One that could take a touring load?
D.TEK HPVS

Post by D.TEK HPVS »

Hi Mr Tangled Metal .......whilst you have been debating all the variations on recumbent designs ?
The Optima Lynx 20/26 rear suspended 2 wheel recumbent with a rather attractive price point and just within your stated budget .
As advised and described to you in various messages (yet to speak to a human on the subject of possible first purchase :) )
Update ....A client who has completed basic test rides
Has paid a small holding deposit prior to the Lynx arriving into stock
So he now has first refusal .
With all used machines on offer I can only sell them once :roll:
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Just buy the first one that comes up for sale nearby and within budget (and fits you).
Ride it for a bit and then you will be in a better position to know what you want and need.
If you buy second hand (which at your budget is almost inevitable) as long as it's not a pig in a poke you should be able to get your money back when you sell it on.