Windcheetah Implodes ( and help with parts )

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

Windcheetah Implodes ( and help with parts )

Post by UpWrong »

Very sad to read that Windcheetah AVD have seemingly imploded leaving a number of customers with no trike after full payment and waits of around a year or more: http://forum.bhpc.org.uk/windcheetah-karl-sparenburg_topic6388.html

I couldn't recommend trying to buy anything from them at the moment. I just hope the problems are resolved one way or another.
Last edited by Graham on 3 Nov 2018, 9:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: appended title
belgiangoth

Re: Windcheetah Implodes

Post by belgiangoth »

Karl wrote:Mark

Phoned you this morning and left a message, just emailed you about 30mins ago.

Kindest Regards
Karl

Normal service should be resumed from now on. All emails to others are in a queue and I will get through them as soon as possible.

Recumbent manufacturers are not Trek et al, more like a custom frame builder; if they get the flu and are off for a couple weeks they disappear and there’s no one to take up the slack.

Fingers crossed it’s all resolved now.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

You stopped reading too soon. That's not the end of the story.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Looks like a real shame and another warning to prospective recumbent manufacturers.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I hear Dtek have been trying to get hold of Karl for some time to discuss acquiring the brand but haven't been able to contact him despite repeated efforts.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

UpWrong wrote:I hear Dtek have been trying to get hold of Karl for some time to discuss acquiring the brand but haven't been able to contact him despite repeated efforts.

There is some irony in that...

It’s a real shame, the wind cheetah trikes really did look like nice pieces of kit. The approach to steering input was interesting, and all the wheels being stub axle has some benefits...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
D.TEK HPVS

Post by D.TEK HPVS »

As a ICE UK premier dealer I can confirm the Falmouth works have offered the ICE VTX model.
At a special discounted price to all affected Windcheetah purchasers
Why should they bother ????
Because the boys and girls in Cornwall care about the recumbent scene :)
Bentrider online USA have run the story along with BHPC UK
Its not pleasant reading with some purchasers owed thousands having paid in full upfront .
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The guys at ICE are sound - this is above and beyond...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
HenryL

Post by HenryL »

Hello, new user here. I would never be involved with a uk forum except this past weekend I had the miss fortune of having the rear derailleur of my clubsport somehow get tangled in the chain. The derailleur is an easy fix, the hanger arm unfortunately is not and did not survive. Trying to find the web site I learned the company may be no more. Is there a source for parts that anyone knows of?
D.TEK HPVS

Post by D.TEK HPVS »

Don't Panic Don't Panic Mr Mannering or Windcheetah owners
I can help you ..........with most spares to offer support to current owners
Let me have the frame number and confirm if its 8 or 9 speed block
I assume its snapped in the middle ?
If its snapped at the two fixing bolt position
It would be wise to check and inspect the threads are not stripped on the main axle housing .
Was it a push back in the garage accident and you nudged the gear shifter ??
or did you turn the trike into a two wheeler during a forced landing :oops:
Regards Kevin D
HenryL

Post by HenryL »

Kevin
Disappointment rather than panic is the order of the day. Frame number is either 723 or 728, not home right now to look at it. Will confirm later. I am on the east coast of USA so there is likely a time difference. How it happened is I started up my steep driveway, right foot unclipped, bike rolled backwards, re-clipped thinking nothing of it, rolled forward and I guess things were tangled resulting in SNAP. Shimano 105 8 speed derailleur is toast but that can be replaced. Tried to attach a picture, no joy, file too large. Piece broke at the bolt hole where the derailleur attaches, split in half. One half of the bolt hole remained attached to the derailleur. From the looks of things it wasn't a clean break. BTW, bike never sits on the floor, it hangs safely off ground unless being ridden, I have never rolled it in all the years I have owned her. Really doesn't matter, end result is as you see. Any advice and or help would be appreciated.

Regards Henry
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you want to post a picture in this forum either

a) put it on a photo hosting site and past the url between img tags or
b) reduce it in size (less than 200kb I think is about right) and have it as an attachment to the post.

To reduce the file size, I use a program called "FastStone photo resizer" but there are lots of other options. Many devices have an option for reducing the file size built in.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karledwards

Post by Karledwards »

Hello All,

I am a new member from Portland, Oregon. I own a Windcheetah Hypersport, # 769. After some seat adjustment and some aggressive cornering, the main boom seat bracket broke. It is alloy and the local builders feel that a replacement is the best route to go.

I'm not sure if it is OK for me to list my email, but I'll risk that and I'm happy to send photos or correspond to anyone who might be of assistance. I attempted to contact Karl [Sparenberg] with no success.

illustration@karledwards.com

Many thanks in advance. This trike does me no good as it is and it was a relatively recent bout with encephalitis that has messed up my ability to ride one of my many bicycles.

Thanks,
Karl

(Thatportlandguy)
Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 7.55.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 8.26.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 4.43.32 PM.png
Last edited by Graham on 3 Nov 2018, 9:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Photos added
D.TEK HPVS

Re: Windcheetah Implodes ( and help with parts )

Post by D.TEK HPVS »

I can help you …..having sold new and used Windcheetahs in all shapes and sizes and vintages since the early 90's 8)
Lots of new bits and bobs on the go since the sad :( demise of the company so alls not lost . :wink:
Regards Kevin D
Karledwards

Re: Windcheetah Implodes ( and help with parts )

Post by Karledwards »

Hi Kevin

Please contact me at:

illustration@karledwards.com

Thanks,
Karl