Transporting a recumbent trike from Edinburgh to London

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
PAB855

Transporting a recumbent trike from Edinburgh to London

Post by PAB855 »

Next year, our daughter will hopefully be setting off to join a group cycling from London to Amsterdam with her ICE Sprint. Has anybody got the best solution to the transportation of it from Edinburgh to London and back again? It's a fully supported ride so she won't necessarily need to use panniers etc between London and Amsterdam, although these can be borrowed from us if they would make life easier for any movement before or after the ride.

It can be folded and the boom will have a quick release, but at about 16kg it's a tad heavy to lift and carry any distance, because of its awkward shape. Two cases of 8kg each are no problem, or even one suitcase of 16kg designed specifically for the job.

I know that it might be possible to hire one in London, but everybody knows that's maybe ok for something less ambitious and we all have our own ways of customising our machines to suit ourselves.

Going by car, might be an outside possibility, but as she says, her trike is probably worth more than her car!

Cheers
[XAP]Bob

Re: Transporting a recumbent trike from Edinburgh to London

Post by [XAP]Bob »

If you fold it down then it’s just luggage on the train.

Might need a hand at either end, but it gets around any nonsense about cycles. Fold up, pgrab a cheap sack truck and wheel it on board.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

The East Coast mainline still runs old BR HST and Electra trains which have large goods vans in the dummy engine. Though I've never travelled on one with a trike I have frequently had our tandem onboard without any problem. Don't see a folded trike presenting any difficulty.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

[XAP]Bob wrote:If you fold it down then it’s just luggage on the train.

Might need a hand at either end, but it gets around any nonsense about cycles. Fold up, pgrab a cheap sack truck and wheel it on board.

My Gekko on the train!

I have always rolled up to the train, folded, placed it on train, and reversed at the other end
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

We have BHPC members who live in Scotland and wish to race with their velomobiles at our events e.g. in London.

I have enquired to Virgin about the possibility of putting velomobiles on their trains. I did not get too far with this. A pity because Branson is apparently a very keen cyclist.

The other possibility is to put the trike on a coach. A slow journey but some coaches will take cycles.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Asking is a double edged sword

I always play the innocent and play the "folding bike card, and have never been turned down

However if you have asked and the answer is an unequivocal "no" you don't have room for any negotiation
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

What about using a folding lugauge trolley
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-fol ... &gclsrc=ds
as an example. would help your daughter for getting on and off trains if the bike is folded and bagged or boxed
NUKe

Post by Pastychomper »

atlas_shrugged wrote:I have enquired to Virgin about the possibility of putting velomobiles on their trains. I did not get too far with this. A pity because Branson is apparently a very keen cyclist.

Maybe you could get help from a "professional complainer" to escalate the enquiry to the man himself. :lol: Although he might point out the practical problem: even if there's enough space on a Virgin train, can you fit your velo into the inevitable taxi when they miss your connection?
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

When I took my Sprint on mainline trains, I just rolled it onto the platform to where the train stops.
Seat off, folded it and put it in a soft bike bag along with the seat.
It sits on one front wheel with the main frame at an angle in the bag with the front boom in one upper corner and the fold in the opposite bottom corner.
Then just lugged the 'oversize luggage' onto the train.
Reversed the procedure at the other end.
Nobody asked any question about travelling with it, but then I'm obviously disabled which probably helps ....... :P
It helps if you're travelling terminus to terminus as it gives you more time to load and unload. Plus you can wheel it closer to where you're going to load it.
The first time I took the front wheels off as it packs down smaller, but it's better with the front wheels on as it will balance on the wheel.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

.... and perhaps obvious.

Travel off peak as it means more space and lessens problems
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Well, what can I say? Thanks for that wide variety of suggestions. With that help I'm sure she can find a solution.

Cheers
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

If you need a soft bike bag, This is the one I used to use -> Cinelli Light Weight Bike Bag - Blue, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cinelli-Light- ... B004X4P7XO
It's made from reasonably heavy canvas and I could get the folded trike in it without to much hassle.
I just rolled it up and carried it with me for the FNRttC.
Plus it's cheap-ish ..... :D
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Your combined input must have gingered up my little grey cells. I may have a solution. I could give her a lift to an Edinburgh tram stop near the outskirts of the city eg the park and ride, from which the tram goes via St Andrews Square which is where the National Express coaches operate. The trams, despite their horrible history during construction and the danger caused by the tramlines to cyclists, are an excellent choice for people pulling wheeled luggage and wheelchair users because the platforms are at the same level as the tram floor and the gap is very narrow. Hopefully at the other end, the group will be meeting close to Victoria! I have yet to find out.

The idea of a folding sack barrow appeals to me too.

I think it's a good idea. Next question is, will my daughter.........? Watch this space.......

Cheers