Can I get a reliable new trike for under a grand?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Pastychomper

Can I get a reliable new trike for under a grand?

Post by Pastychomper »

Having recently moved closer to work I've been cycling there and plan to get a better mount to help. At the moment my favoured options are

(1) A large, second-hand DF road bike, bought outright in a few months' time
(lower overall cost, would suit me better for at least some journeys)

(2) A recumbent trike bought soon-ish through the bike-to-work scheme.
(hoping for better handling in ice and wind)

I've never tried a recumbent, unless you count gym machines, plus a fairly high bike with a bucket seat that I had fun with at a show once, but I've seen a few LeJoG(g)ers on them over the years. From what I've read in this forum, I'd need to train my legs a while and get used to faster pedalling on the hills, bit that wouldn't be a problem for work. The main advantage would be being able to use it for more days in winter. Most of the roads on that journey are aggressively gritted, but a few are not, and I've met enough rogue ice-patches to be very cautious on these winding, unlit main roads. Plus, here in Caithness, we get a lot of high winds and few trees so I've often regretted the sit-up-and-beg positions on my current and previous bikes. Hence I'm favouring something with a very low profile and centre of gravity, and I'm somewhat leaning towards a tadpole for braking stability.

If I went for Option 2 I'd be likely to end up buying before I try, as I won't be able to get anywhere that stocks 'bents for a couple of months at least (though I might be persuaded to wait). I'd also have a hard £1000 limit - more than I'd spend otherwise, but less than a lot of trikes seem to cost. So, the big question is - am I likely to be able to find a reliable, sturdy trike for a weighty 6'5'' rider within that price range? I don't want suspension, or care much about extras, but it needs to be robust and easy to maintain.

Whatever I end up with will probably also be my main touring machine in the summer, which will have some bearing on my choice, but I'd likely have fun either way.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
[XAP]Bob

Re: Can I get a reliable new trike for under a grand?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

At sub £1k you are probably looking at a KMX or maybe a Performer?

It’s a shame CTW won’t do s/band, because that would be a sensible option for many people
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
canoesailor

Post by canoesailor »

Look at the Semi recumbent trike on www.missioncycles.co.uk new for less than £1000. They're at Maidstone but have a good carrier for delivery.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Thanks for the replies.

The KMX Kolt squeezes in at £950. I like the look of the rider position and fall within the weight range for on-road use, no mention of rider height though so I'd probably better try one first. Also there's no rear brake, which should be ok for stopping since most of the braking is done by the front wheels anyway, but is it legal on a road? I remember reading that one brake per wheel is the requirement for bikes, and can't find on a quickish search whether our esteemed lawmakers have made an exception for three-wheelers. If not I could maybe buy the bike via C2W and quietly fit the brake kit myself.

That one at missioncycles is a better price, interesting that they're in Maidstone as I'm likely to be visiting Kent in Feb. I suppose the best thing is to wait until then and book a test-ride or two.
--Ole Boot
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Road legal without a rear brake - assuming the seat isn't more than 635mm (?) off the ground.

Its not an issue in practice, the front does all the braking.

If you can get near Cambridge, then Kevin at DTek is the 'go-to' man for testing all the options.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

To be strictly 100% road legal then both front brakes need to be off one lever and the back brake of another.
But as long as you have two independent brakes then you're ok as that's what's normally looked for to be legal.

The KMX looks ok for a starter trike.
BUT .......
The gears will probably need to be altered before you go touring on it.
Top gear is only around 70", you'll spin out at roughly 20 mph down a slight hill.
First gear is only around 25", you'll struggle getting up hills with any type of load.
So expect to fit a triple to it to extend the range both up and down for starters.

As for a semi recumbent.
If it's more like a crank forward where your back doesn't take a lot of weight, then the wind resistance won't be much less than a "sit up and beg" bike.

Another vote for Kevin at D-Tek, Little Thetford, near Ely.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Thanks, I did wonder about the gear range but it'd do for the commuting part. I've enquired about the cost for their "easy" gear upgrade.

I also wonder what having three 2" tyres would do to the rolling resistance. I can't complain much as I'm using chunky MTB tyres at the moment, but would probably opt for some well-inflated slicks for the summer.
--Ole Boot
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

You want to keep fat-ish tyres on a bent trike for the much better ride comfort due to a lot less road buzz.
Remember you cannot get out of the saddle to miss the bumps.
So 40-50 mm tyres run at 60-70 psi seem to be the best all round compromise.
Lighter tyres on the front for speed as punctures are easy to fix without removing the wheel.
A heavier tyre on the back as punctures are more a PITA there.
I'd use something like either 40-406 Schwalbe Tryker or Racer on the front and a 50-406 Big Apple on the back.
I think this is the best combo of puncture protection vs comfort vs speed.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I couldn't recommend the Mission Cycles trike. It's too upright, too heavy and the front wheel is small. So no, you can't get a reliable new recumbent trike capable of being your summer touring machine for under a grand. The KMX Venom is probably up to it, at £1450 for the bare trike. Suggest you get a test ride on one. If a grand is your budget then the used market is where you are more likely to pick up an older ICE or HP-Velotechnic trike.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Problem is that the grand is defined by CTW which also mandates new...

I’d be more tempted to top up the grand??
pete75

Post by pete75 »

There's nothing in the Cycle to work scheme rules which says you have to buy a new bike. Your employer can buy any bike. If they intend to recover the cost from you then there is a £1000 limit unless they hold a consumer credit licence in which case the limit is £4500.
If your employer chooses to use something like Cyclescheme they may specify it has to be a new bike. Such schemes are pretty pointless though - it just means the employer gives the money to Cyclescheme who then give it to the retailer and at the same time ripping him off for 10% of the value of the bike. The employer still has to do all the salary sacrifice stuff.
When I got a cycle to work scheme bike the boss just gave the company credit card details to the bike shop - took her about 2 minutes to deal with it. There's a couple of standard letters to be sent at the start and end of the lease period - again very quick with little admin as templates are available online. One of the secretaries sorted it out in less than 5 minutes.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

My employer does use Cyclescheme, hence the requirement for new, and they specify that the £1000 can't be topped up. I don't think that would stop me getting something basic and upgrading it myself. KMX say they'll supply a rear brake and a gear kit for the Kolt for about £180 +postage, for example.

On the other hand, it looks like I can get a better model for about half the price on Fleabay if I go second-hand, which even with interest would be no more expensive over the specified two years. I have some good reasons not to do that immediately, but it might be a workable option in the not-too-distant future.

For now I'll wait until one of my next trips South, and book a test-ride or three. In the mean time my LBS (who tell me they've never been asked about 'bents before, though they know a couple of local riders) have supplied me with an impressive list of information to to peruse.
--Ole Boot