Alfine 8 on a 'bent bike?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

Alfine 8 on a 'bent bike?

Post by UpWrong »

I think I would be considerably more confident on my Nazca Paseo in traffic if I could change gear when stationary. I don't want to go to the expense of a Rohloff and with a 26" rear wheel the Sturmey 8-speed isn't suitable because it gears up from the direct drive 1st gear. That pretty much leaves an Alfine 8 or 11 as the only options. The Alfine 8 is both cheaper and less finicky with regards to the selector cable which is going to be v. long on my 'bent with its open cockpit bars and long swingarm. I would run it with a double up front to get a decent range, but the gaps between gears look rather large. Also the least efficient gear, gear 4, is next to the most efficient gear, gear 5. I'm wondering if that makes the large gap between 4 and 5 even more problemmatic.

Anyone able to give their experience of an Alfine 8 on a 'bent bike?
[XAP]Bob

Re: Alfine 8 on a 'bent bike?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

An alternative is an SA 3spd with a cassette as well.

Gives you a pair of 33% shifts, or in my case a zeroth and fourth chainrings which are accessible when stationery
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

It is entirely personal

I have 4 recumbents with Rohloff, one with a Schlumpf HSD as well, a Birdy and two uprights

I love these of use.. it is an investment, but not one you will regret
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Made a quick decision to go with the SA CS-RK3. Annoyingly I already have a CS-RF3 sat unused in a box, but I have problems with interference between my return chain line and the v-brake which can only be solved by changing over to a rear disk brake. Luckily I have a Mavic X717 disc rim lying around, so will have to work out the correct spoke length and spoke crossing before buildig the wheel.

I'll change the triple up front to a double and do a manual shift to get my 54 gears :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I don’t run a rear brake...

Could swap if you need?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I don’t run a rear brake...

Could swap if you need?

Thanks, but I've ordered it. It means I've got a spare set of internals should I ever need them. :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I don't think they do a drum braked version, which is a shame
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

[XAP]Bob wrote:An alternative is an SA 3spd with a cassette as well.

Gives you a pair of 33% shifts, or in my case a zeroth and fourth chainrings which are accessible when stationery

A number of years ago, I went down this path on Bob's suggestion. He invited me to his place to see how it fitted, etc. At the time he was having trouble with the dish of the wheel build from Practical cycles, because the ICE rear wheel is offset (I guess you'll remember that, Bob). ICE and Practical Cycles communicated well, and got it right for Bob. This was to my advantage, because the job went smoothly for me.

I use it as Bob does - as a zeroth and fourth ring. But, of course, it's helpful if I should end up in the wrong gear when stationary.

UpWrong wrote:Made a quick decision to go with the SA CS-RK3. Annoyingly I already have a CS-RF3 sat unused in a box, but I have problems with interference between my return chain line and the v-brake which can only be solved by changing over to a rear disk brake. Luckily I have a Mavic X717 disc rim lying around, so will have to work out the correct spoke length and spoke crossing before buildig the wheel.

I'll change the triple up front to a double and do a manual shift to get my 54 gears :D

An advantage of the CS-R series is that they're strong. I'm sure I can't put enough torque into the hub to exceed the limit. Bob looked into this aspect with some concern (being several decades younger than me!!) and was satisfied by replies he got from SA.

Another advantage is the ability to now use "regular" cassettes, rather than having to use the expensive capreo in order to get a decent top gear on the 20" rear wheel.
Last edited by Geoff.D on 3 Jan 2018, 10:41am, edited 2 times in total.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I’ll try and find the email from SA at some point - but I think they snapped the chain on a 32 tooth sprocket before the hub suffered...

So they set no torque limits (unlike many other hubs)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I have seen one CS-RK3 hub internal fail on a recumbent; it is debatable what caused the onset of the problem (I think maybe the gear cable was draggy enough that top gear wasn't always properly selected) but once there was any amount of shrapnel in the hub (which was soon generated by any slippage) then the plunger pawls in the top gear clutch didn't work properly any more. The net result was that there was ever more, ever worse slippage.

In view of this I would

a) be very sure that the hub is able to select top gear fully (a slack gear cable in top)
b) that the hub is not used further (until attended to) if there is any sign of slippage in top gear
c) that the lubrication in the hub is supplemented with something more copious and runnier; sticky SA grease didn't help matters inside the hub.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~