Why are recumbents so rare?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
canoesailor

Re: Why is recumbents so rare?

Post by canoesailor »

reohn2 wrote:
canoesailor wrote:some years ago there was a letter in Motorcycle News from a bike cop, he was going to an emergency with sirens going and light flashing and someone pulled out in front of him. The diver said ... you guessed it "Sorry I didn't see you" he sais he would have booked her, but the emergency had to take priority.

My Question is why is it only people in boxes who cant see us, other bikes can and motorbikes can, this must mean that cars are not safe enough to be on the road.

It could be that some only see a threat to their welbeing and not anything of no threat to their person,therefore not needing their attention.

I think there is a lot of truth in what you say, I remember Jeremy Clarkson saying you could reduce accidents overnight by fixing a sword in the middle of the steering wheel pointing towards the driver.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

pjclinch wrote:Deary me. This is a semi-low (mine is about a head higher) on a fietspad with some particularly easy-to spot bolt-upright Dutch roadsters.

It's not actually that hard to see the 'bent.

Pete.

What' bent? I can't see any 'bent! :wink:

It's just a shame I can't get free to a recumbent retailer to try one out. They're kind of at opposite ends of the country I think. They're not found secondhand that often I reckon. Possibly because most ppl owning them are the types to own a few bikes and can afford to keep even bikes they don't use anymore. But a 'bent then not like it the bike just sits for years unused in the shed or garage. I've got a strict one in, one out due to cost and storage. It's a big risk to buy one without trying a few out.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Where I are you based?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

North lancs.

I suppose I could get to Glasgow in 3 hours to b the recumbent retailer there. Otherwise I think it's Edinburgh, little Thetford or London I think. I don't know any other recumbent retailer than the ones at those locations.
Yossarian

Post by Yossarian »

My honest reaction when first saw one locally was "that guy's crazy, he's going to get himself killed", but as someone said earlier I DID see him and all the people I talked to that were moaning about him had seen him, so they are clearly not invisible.

I'd certainly never ride one on the roads, but maybe that's just a mental block.
squeaker

Re: Why are recumbents so rare?

Post by squeaker »

Yossarian wrote:I'd certainly never ride one on the roads, but maybe that's just a mental block.
Yes :roll: After long spells on a 'bent trike my first reaction to getting back onto a 'victorian' bicycle is 'it's a long way to fall' :lol:
"42"
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

A lot of people on here have several machines, forbye one can only ride one at a time
I use my old upWrong once a year

Are there many bents doing few miles and gathering dust?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Cyril Haearn wrote:A lot of people on here have several machines, forbye one can only ride one at a time
I use my old upWrong once a year

Are there many bents doing few miles and gathering dust?
Mine is my touring machine, also the case with my wife. Family issues mean not much touring at present so the 'bents are underused in favour of urban hacks and the cargo bike.

When we have some more us-time again they'll be getting their miles in.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yossarian wrote:My honest reaction when first saw one locally was "that guy's crazy, he's going to get himself killed", but as someone said earlier I DID see him and all the people I talked to that were moaning about him had seen him, so they are clearly not invisible.

I'd certainly never ride one on the roads, but maybe that's just a mental block.

I commute on both my trike (ICE Sprint RS) and bike (Raptobike low racer), I wouldn’t dream of commuting on an upright due to the ridiculous number of close passes and abuse I get when I do ride one (I tend to take the upright to church, I can stow it easily in the back of the tech booth).

Besides which I don’t really fancy the 15 miles on a saddle when I can have a comfy chair :D

The only time when height is a concern is when filtering, and ‘being seen’ is always a concern when filtering, even on a tall bike...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I’ve a HP Street Machine GT. It’s not so low, a luxurious ride and even after cycling from Stuttgart to Heidelberg in a day, no aches at all. Fast on the level, slower up hill and a rocket going down, its cycling with a huge smile.

Just bought a Hase Trike 2nd Hand from eBay for winter here- ice, snow etc. Three wheels, joyful cornering and when I stray from the cycle paths, cars give me loads of room as I maybe look like I’m on some kind of stretched wheel chair given the look of the rear wheels.

With a Brompton, a Thorn XTC and a hand built steel racer I’m spoilt for choice.

If I had to choose one...probably the Street Machine
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

*Recumbent riders where are we*

Is a thread from 2011 with lots of posts!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Paul wrote:I’ve a HP Street Machine GT. It’s not so low, a luxurious ride and even after cycling from Stuttgart to Heidelberg in a day, no aches at all. Fast on the level, slower up hill and a rocket going down, its cycling with a huge smile.

Just bought a Hase Trike 2nd Hand from eBay for winter here- ice, snow etc. Three wheels, joyful cornering and when I stray from the cycle paths, cars give me loads of room as I maybe look like I’m on some kind of stretched wheel chair given the look of the rear wheels.

With a Brompton, a Thorn XTC and a hand built steel racer I’m spoilt for choice.

Do Not buy a Kettwiesel

They are far too much fun!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cunobelin wrote:
Paul wrote:I’ve a HP Street Machine GT. It’s not so low, a luxurious ride and even after cycling from Stuttgart to Heidelberg in a day, no aches at all. Fast on the level, slower up hill and a rocket going down, its cycling with a huge smile.

Do Not buy a Kettwiesel

They are far too much fun!

I do want to try one...
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I want to try any recumbent. Nowhere near any retailer and too busy with family to get to one. Oh I wish they were more mainstream.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Where are you?