'bent to try near Cosham Portsmouth ?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
nicchristie

'bent to try near Cosham Portsmouth ?

Post by nicchristie »

Hi
Long story but looking at a recumbent trike( lower back issues) any users riders near Cosham Portsmouth with a bike I can come look at etc ? I would be very grateful

http://p2p-picnic4u.blogspot.co.uk
UpWrong

Re: 'bent to try near Cosham Portsmouth ?

Post by UpWrong »

I have one though it's a very reclined model and the seat is 8.5 inches off the ground. How tall are you and what are you wanting one for?
nicchristie

Post by nicchristie »

Hi Upwrong

Got into cycling late have had prolapsed disc for many years but my longer rides are just causing to many issues . want to keep up the cycling with less stress on the back have been recommended a recumbent . Not having ever tried one ( only ever seen a few) wanted to sit in one and get an idea of what it would be like. Probably would look at an ICE Sprint or something like that but seeing anything would be a start , just doesn't seem to be anything local LOL
thanks
Nic
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

A two wheeled recumbent is better if you want to continue riding with other uprights. Your welcome to come and look at mine and have a sit on them. With a dodgy back you might benefit from suspension.
nicchristie

Post by nicchristie »

Great thanks PM me I’ll pop by thanks again

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

UpWrong wrote:A two wheeled recumbent is better if you want to continue riding with other uprights. Your welcome to come and look at mine and have a sit on them. With a dodgy back you might benefit from suspension.

Depends on the group, and your 'bent fitness...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

If you just want to "look" KMX are near you
https://www.kmxkarts.co.uk/
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

KMX will be a good choice if you want to sit on a range tadpole trikes just to get a feel.
Looks like London Recumbents are a good choice for trying a Delta Kettwiesel. Not sure if they have other trikes to try, but they may have a range of bent bikes.
There's also Bikefix in London who look to have a range of bike/trikes.
ICE are a lot further away in Falmouth but Saddle Safari in Marlow may be their nearest dealer.
West Country Recumbents are Greenspeed dealers (bent tandem trikes .. :D) and are based in Derbyshire.
After that it's Kinetics in Glasgow or Laid Back Bikes in Edinburg.
There could well be a few more dealers in the UK that I don't know about.

Kevin at D-Tek, Little Thetford near Ely is probably the closest dealer with the biggest range of second hand trike to try if you're thinking of that route.

I ride very reciled so little vertical stress is on my back so I've found that due to the support from the seat, even when my backs bad the position it holds me in means I can still comfortably pedal my trike.
But getting on and off can be interesting when it's very bad.

Luck ........ :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Seems very relaxing, is there a risk of falling asleep?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
nicchristie

Post by nicchristie »

Thanks for all the info a couple of kindly soles nearby are going to let me see theirs . Will let you know how I get on :-)

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Seems very relaxing, is there a risk of falling asleep?

I tend to overheat while slogging up a long hill, so I take layers off. Going over the top on to flat section in a cold/damp wind and I'll cool down fairly quickly. I don't like to stop to put the layers back on and sometimes I cool down to much. If I'm close to bonking at the same time then I start to get the ZZZzzzzzz. Layering up and calories solves it.

Normally there's enough going on around you to keep you alert, even if it's only traffic.
But I have been bored pedalling down a slight hill at 25 mph before now because it wasn't fast enough for the recumbent :D ........... :lol: