Greenspeed trikes / West Country recumbents

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Tangled Metal

Greenspeed trikes / West Country recumbents

Post by Tangled Metal »

Been looking around for recumbent retailers. Re-do understand WCR in Derbyshire. Not too far from where we like to visit and camp. However they seem to only sell greenspeed trikes, is that correct? Also what are greenspeed trikes like? I'm not sure I like delta trikes, IMHO tadpole ones with two front wheels look better.

Is it worth the detour to visit them if I really prefer two wheeled recumbent?
hercule

Re: Greenspeed trikes / West Country recumbents

Post by hercule »

Greenspeed are unusual in that they do one delta (Anura) and a variety of tadpoles including a tandem. They are well respected (up there with ICE, HPV and Hase) and one of the first modern recumbent manufacturers but otherwise fairly scarce in the UK as they are made about as far away as you can get (Australia) Worth a look, I think recumbent trikes are a bit more versatile than bikes even if slower but YMMV!
hercule

Post by hercule »

PS I’ve dealt with them through their “Small Tyre Shop” and they have always come across as very nice people to deal with!
D.TEK HPVS

Post by D.TEK HPVS »

Rob who owns WCR sells new trikes (albeit only the Greenspeed brand )
You might double check if he has used stock to offer ?
If that is a none starter Rob or Carol often point the finger towards Little Thetford 8)
I think you suggested your height is 6ft5ins and running on a restricted budget of less than a £££ grand ??
That also means test rides and suitable models and machines to purchase would be somewhat restricted in your case .
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I'm holding back and saving up. I wonder what money gets you a good commuting / touring recumbent? New and secondhand?

It does seem to be Dtek is the best place to get your first recumbent. Everyone points to dtek. I mean everyone. Just why base down in Cambridgeshire and not beautiful Lancashire or Cumbria or Yorkshire? :wink:

Seriously though, a dtek or laidback cycles based say near Manchester would probably do OK. Or WCR if they did other brands too (and secondhand). Mind you greenspeed look a very good brand.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Greenspeed don''t offer suspension and for a long time were obsessed with small, Brompton sized wheels. The problem is the cost of shipping them over.
D.TEK HPVS

Post by D.TEK HPVS »

A good point about Greenspeed costs
In fact upon arrival in Euroland a tariff duty was imposed on the basic cost + shipping and then vat on that lot ......Ouch !
Many years ago I think Optima and Greenspeed considered a joint venture to build the Aussie trikes in the Netherlands .
On paper that would negate tariff and airfeight costs .But the idea failed as a reasonable profit margin could not be achieved .
I have bought a variety of pre-owned Greenspeed models and the GT3 has proven to be a popular pick (it folds)
The tandems remain dream machines to import at huge cost ££££££ .
Unless you discover a used GS tandem trike probably brought in as hand luggage (honest) from folk that visited down-under .
The GS delta trike struggles to compete with the well established Hase KW
and does not win beauty prizes with its industrial and rather boxy design .
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Sea freight from Australia would be much cheaper
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Wobbly John

Post by Wobbly John »

D.TEK HPVS wrote:A good point about Greenspeed costs
...I think Optima and Greenspeed considered a joint venture to build the Aussie trikes...

I think Dave Wrath-Sharman and Chris Bell (of EGG chainring fame) were looking at building the Greenspeed under licence in the UK in the mid '90s, but I don't think the project got off the ground. Pity.