ICE Sprint x on roof?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
PAB855

ICE Sprint x on roof?

Post by PAB855 »

Hello all.

Has anyone any advice on loading a recumbent trike on to a roof cycle rack intended for carrying three bicycles?

Cheers
[XAP]Bob

Re: ICE Sprint x on roof?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Aero - I’d put the seat inside.
Otherwise it should be fun to just strap down the three wheels. I’d also bind the crossbar to the rack and the tail section in the ‘other’ direction (so if the crossbar is ahead of the rack it will get pulled backwards, so pull forwards on the rear triangle)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
hercule

Post by hercule »

And take the seat off...
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

The only time I've seen a bent trike on a roof rack, the roof rack was modded with three longitudinal channels.
Each wheel went in its own channel and was strapped to it.
The front wheels where above the racks front cross frame and where also strapped to it.
To get the trike on/of the roof rack, each channel was extended with two extra pieces down over the bonnet and the trike was just rolled up onto/down off the rack.
A blanket was used on the bonnet to protect the paintwork.
The extension pieces where also strapped to the rack.

Luck ...... :D
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Yes thanks, dependable forum users.

That's what I had in mind. The seat would be put in the car with the flag for company of course!!!

Problem solved.

Cheers
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I have a Catrike Expedition and Hase Kettwiesel

Both mount with the central wheel on a Thule 598 rack and a pair of "Seasucker" mounts for the lateral wheels.

Additional security is gained by strapping the frame to the rack
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Install front transverse roof bar only. Roll trike onto roof from rear of car. Bungee front wheels to transverse roof bar. Tie rear wheel to internal grab handles with flat nylon rope passed through rear car doors. This is how I transported my Catrike Speed.
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

I see I am gleaning the gems of ingenuity from the usual suspects on the forum.

Everything is worth knowing, however I need to give more detail to be fair to everyone.

The car will have a two bike rack on the rear, so front loading and unloading looks like the best idea. By the weekend we will no doubt have cracked it.

Thanks again one and all.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

With the seat (and any bags) removed you might find that the trike is easier to lift than you thought...
There are certainly enough places to hang on...

I built a frame that sat on my trailer... a triangle of batons, with a third of an old tyre screwed in at each corner.
That was then all strapped down to the trailer, which had a folded trike inside!

Don't have a tow bar any more though...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.