Trike Weights

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
mark aldridge

Trike Weights

Post by mark aldridge »

I have just posted some on-the-road trike weights on the BHPC forum. It would be interesting if owners of other trikes (and two wheeled recumbents) could post other machine weights.
UpWrong

Re: Trike Weights

Post by UpWrong »

Catrike are pretty accurate with their weights. My machines:

Catrike 2008 Speed, flinger rear mudguard, no rack: 30lbs
ICE Sprint 26, rear rack, rear mudguard: 39lbs
Catriike 2015 700, rear mudguard, no rack, folding duranos: 34lbs

Two wheelers:
Bacchetta Giro 20 steel fame, AL fork, Recurve seat, underseat rack: 30lbs
Metabikes, rear rack, no mudguards: 27lbs
RANS Stratus XP, mudguards, rack, sling mesh seat: 33lbs
Nazca Paseo, muguards, rear rack+underseat rack: 41lbs
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I've guessed at about 25 Kg for the weight of my ICE Sprint FS+ with rear rack, hard shell seat and a streamer fairing.
How close my guess is I've no idea ..... :lol:
Plus my large Carry Freedom trailer which I pull 99% of the time is approximately another 10 Kg.
mark aldridge

Post by mark aldridge »

It looks as though a lightweight trike in summer mode should be around 30lbs and in winter mode 2-3lbs more. I think you could get down to 26-27lbs if you severely restricted the gear range with a carbon double crankset, a narrow range high geared cassette and a lightweight chain.

To get much below that would entail spending mega bucks and I suspect would only lose another pound or so.

In the real world I need a low of 12in to get me up the Surrey hills and 110in + coming down them with high volume tyres for when I hit the inevitable pothole.
mark aldridge

Post by mark aldridge »

Just an update, another Windcheetah FRO owner has just weighed her trike and it comes in at 24.5lbs. This is with a shortish boom (and therefore less chain), double Shimano Hollowtech chainset, Bebop pedals (the weight is in the cleat, not the pedals) and only a bottle cage to add extra weight.
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

You can adjust the weight of the person on the trike far easier than adjusting the weight of the trike. Me I have reduced my weight by 20kg in a year.
mark aldridge

Post by mark aldridge »

This post was always based on just a thought as I was doing a bit of trike maintenance.
I live and ride in the real world and by the time I add tools, water bottle and food the all up weight rockets.
In my experience trike riding is an amazing way to lose weight and get fit. In early Spring as I ride more and longer I can lose inches off my waist without really trying.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Alan58 wrote:You can adjust the weight of the person on the trike far easier than adjusting the weight of the trike. Me I have reduced my weight by 20kg in a year.

Well done.
That's what I'm hoping to do this year now the medication has been sorted.
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

Thanks Nigel: hard work in the gym but it is worth it.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Came across a blog posting by Zach Kaplan regarding the Scorpion 2 which is the lowest, most sporty and lightest current HPV trike. It doesn't fold. Minimalist build (no rack or mudguards) with derailleur gearing, Bodylink seat, air shock, kojak tyres. Weight of 17.75Kg without pedals. Yikes.
Lodge

Post by Lodge »

My unsuspended ICE Sprint is 17.5 kg naked, 20.3 kg with lights, rack, mudguards and lock. Weight of Rohloff offset by carbon seat, narrow rims and tyres.

My wife’s Kettwiesel on the other hand is 35 kg due to STEPS motor, battery, Rohloff and full suspension. It’s great fun until the battery runs out and one is faced with 120 m including a 10% uphill gradient between you and home.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Lodge wrote:My unsuspended ICE Sprint is 17.5 kg naked, 20.3 kg with lights, rack, mudguards and lock. Weight of Rohloff offset by carbon seat, narrow rims and tyres.

My wife’s Kettwiesel on the other hand is 35 kg due to STEPS motor, battery, Rohloff and full suspension. It’s great fun until the battery runs out and one is faced with 120 m including a 10% uphill gradient between you and home.

But the ICE is a steel frame with a folding mechanism. The HPV Bodylink seat and Airflow pad are a bit heavy which doesn't help. I suspect that the HPV and Azub aluminium frames are over-engineered for reliability. HPV have gone for S-Pedelec certification too, so the frame is up to having a powerful motor installed. Even the Catrike frames have got heavier over the years to cope with the rise in obesity.
liffy99

Post by liffy99 »

I’ve never lost weight cycling (unless touring for several weeks).
I try to do 10-20 mile trips three to five times each week but all that happens is the tops of my thighs thicken and start rubbing together.
What can I do ?
OldBloke

Post by OldBloke »

liffy99,

You can reduce the irritation of rubbing by wearing gym compression shorts.

Weight loss is only 10-20% exercise and the rest is food intake. Reduce portion sizes, cut down on between-meal snacks and eliminate sugary drinks (including artificially sweetened ones).

OB
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

Go to a gym and get professional advice if you can afford the time and money. Otherwise just ride and enjoy - fitness will take care of itself