Workstand for recumbent trike

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
PAB855

Workstand for recumbent trike

Post by PAB855 »

After years of hanging upwrong bikes from hooks in the garage roof, I am soon to have a workstand.
Now that there are two ICE recumbent trikes in the family collection I was wondering if any bent mechanics had used a workstand and if so would their advice be to look for any particular features if it was possible to have the best of both worlds and have a stand which could take bikes or recumbent trikes
My suspicion is it's too much to expect.
To some extent I have found a solution to the problem of being at both ends of the trike at the same time in order to crank the pedals by hand while lifting the back wheel ! I have vandalised a basic turbo trainer and can support the rear carrier on the screw reversed through one of the arms.

I am really looking forward to the gems of ingenuity out there. Many of you appear to have the same helpful assistant in your workshop as I have. He gets everywhere, surname Robinson, first initial H.

Get it?

Cheers
[XAP]Bob

Re: Workstand for recumbent trike

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Heath is useful.

I keep meaning to rig a drill to a loop of chain to drive the pedals remotely...

I have an old table which the base makes a really good front stand, but I really wish ICE would package and sell their workstands from the factory - they’re insanely good
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

And insanely costly?....
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

They only have a handful, which were locally fabricated.

So there is no available commercial cost.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

search the internet there are a number of trike stands people have fabricated.

Still trying to work out the best way to support a recumbent bike for working upon at the moment I tend to use a bike stand and bungies. this way I can lift the front or the rear off the floor. I think the best bet would be a motorcycle work bench with an axle stand under the suspension pivot and perhaps a clamping arm from a roof rack
NUKe

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I’m vaguely thinking that a scaffolding post ‘hole’ in the garage could take a couple of stands, if for upwrongs and one for the real machines ;)