BHPC - anyone race their recumbent?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Tangled Metal

BHPC - anyone race their recumbent?

Post by Tangled Metal »

I went to watch Sunday's BHPC race near me. Interesting to watch but got me thinking about whether it would be fun to join in. Followed by thinking I can't do it. I've got a touring recumbent (streetmachine GT) and I don't think I'm very fit neither.

There were a few ICE trikes taking part. I think they all knew that the guy with a three wheeled, fully faired velomobile was going to come first but there were enough taking part who you'd never see racing an upright. It seems more like a bunch of cyclists racing for the fun of riding their recumbent in a racing situation. It was more like everyone was racing their last time not necessarily each other. Although there looked like a few were about the same pace and making a real competitive race of it.

Could a streetmachine be set up as a tourer one day and race machine for a few days a year? What would be needed?
[XAP]Bob

Re: BHPC - anyone race their recumbent?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

depends how competitive you are, with yourself or others...

Just drop the bags and race, if you find that you are much too slow for your own desires then potentially look at shedding other accessories (mudguards, racks, etc.)
Maybe drop the dynamo wheel if you have one, and put on more supple (and less protected) tyres...

But mostly have fun...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Tangled Metal wrote:I went to watch Sunday's BHPC race near me. Interesting to watch but got me thinking about whether it would be fun to join in. Followed by thinking I can't do it. I've got a touring recumbent (streetmachine GT) and I don't think I'm very fit neither.

It really does not matter. BHPC let you ride anything you fancy in their events, even the odd upright bicycle. I've been to a couple, and it is all very low key and everybody is out to enjoy themselves at whatever level they are comfortable. For £10 (I think that is the non member day fee) it is undoubtedly good value. The Tricycle Association use BHPC events for their criterium races. What is noticeable is that the tight circuits that upright tricyclists enjoy so much are not liked at all by the fully enclosed recumbenteers because they lose so much speed in the tight bends. Horses for courses.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Have any of you lot tried it out? Anyone at Lancaster yesterday? If BHPC go to Lancaster again I'll probably go again. I'll be the one with a young child who's as interested as me (but only for the first half hour or until I start talking bikes with someone).

The only issue is the course is not easy to cycle to with a young child. Roads are my nice from my way unless you travel too far for a 5 year old to avoid them. Salt Ayre is really a drive to sort of place.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

In July BHPC are holding their 2018 world championships at the old colliery site at Betteshanger in Kent in conjunction with the Tricycle Association. I have a friend in the Tricycle Association and we are both planning to travel to Kent. We've attended on a couple of previous occasions and it was a very enjoyable weekend.
hercule

Post by hercule »

I’d certainly like to have a go but with me as the rider and my Fuego as the machine I don’t think I’d be worrying anyone! Trouble is the BHPC seem to be allergic to Scotland and Lancaster is the closest they seem to get. That’s a long way from me in the NE corner! I would consider travelling to the Central Belt and there do seem to be some recumbentists around that part of the country...
jayjay

Post by jayjay »

Go try it, equipment rules are minimal and the people "just like us". I had a go and it was fun, also went faster than I thought I could.
Built f' comfort.