Brighton to London - trike on the train?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Geoff.D

Brighton to London - trike on the train?

Post by Geoff.D »

I've been looking in the archives, and think I have an answer. But the threads aren't quite up to date, and I'd like to check out more recent experience.

I intend camping in Brighton before the London to Brighton ride in June, and going up to the start on an early train. I'd fashion a bag for my folding ICE (to circumvent any ban on trikes), and take it on board as large luggage. Has anyone done this recently?
Tigerbiten

Re: Brighton to London - trike on the train?

Post by Tigerbiten »

It's been a few years since I've taken my trike on the Brighton -> London train before a FNRttC.
I found that if I got the slow train at around 10 pm then because of the large disabled space I didn't need to fold it.
The fast train had narrower doors so less room to maneuver the trike in/out.
Because the train goes terminus -> terminus I found the easiest way to do it if there was no jobsworth around was to fold->bag the trike at the train door, that way I didn't carry the trike very far.
Again I found it easier to unbag it as soon as I was off the train.
I actually rode down the platforms at walking speed, but then I'm visually disabled which probably helps.

Luck .......... :D
mjr

Re: Brighton to London - trike on the train?

Post by mjr »

Off peak, I'd expect to get a trike in one of the cycle spaces between Brighton and Blackfriars on Thameslink without much trouble. Starting at one end probably makes it easier. I've not actually tried it. Only done it with a bike.

I've not tried on the Brighton to Victoria faster services.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.