Recumbent trike speed

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
fossala

Re: Recumbent trike speed

Post by fossala »

mark aldridge wrote:Is that with the fairing ?
Just think how much faster it would be if it was painted red.
I'm glad you are enjoying it.
In my heart it makes me regret selling it but my head says think of the money.
Mark

Not using the fairing. I'm so much happier with this trike than the QNT. It's a lot more comfortable than I thought it was going to be, the seat really supports you. How long had it been since you rode it?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not ridden one, though I have been in company of them.

Ben Lovejoy and dkmwt (forum members a while back) rode LEJOG on ICE trikes. I've met up with dkmwt - his name's Donald and lives in Plymouth - a few times and ridden with him a few times.

I met Ben and Donald at Launceston and rode to Okehampton with them along the OldA30 on their LEJOG. Long grinding hills, not steep, though they are long.
I was bored and cold as they were slow up the hills. Fast enough down them, but as soon as they came to one of the long hills, they slowed right down. I had to climb the hills at my own speed, ride back down, then ride with them again to the top just to keep warm and entertained.

They were nice and fast on the flat, and very fast downhill, but terribly slow climbing hills.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14625

The slideshow is great!
http://www.benlovejoy.com/cycle/tripreports/lejog/
Mick F. Cornwall
fossala

Post by fossala »

Mick F wrote:Not ridden one, though I have been in company of them.

Ben Lovejoy and dkmwt (forum members a while back) rode LEJOG on ICE trikes. I've met up with dkmwt - his name's Donald and lives in Plymouth - a few times and ridden with him a few times.

I met Ben and Donald at Launceston and rode to Okehampton with them along the OldA30 on their LEJOG. Long grinding hills, not steep, though they are long.
I was bored and cold as they were slow up the hills. Fast enough down them, but as soon as they came to one of the long hills, they slowed right down. I had to climb the hills at my own speed, ride back down, then ride with them again to the top just to keep warm and entertained.

They were nice and fast on the flat, and very fast downhill, but terribly slow climbing hills.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14625

The slideshow is great!
http://www.benlovejoy.com/cycle/tripreports/lejog/

I've found recumbent trikes aren't too slow uphill with the right technique and fitness. You can't loose speed going uphill as it's hard to get it back until you hit the flat or downhill. Either way, 17.7mph isn't exactly slow.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

fossala wrote: Either way, 17.7mph isn't exactly slow.
No, and I'm impressed! :D

I'm lucky to get an average of 14mph here.
Today's ride was only 14.5 miles and 1,300ft of climbing, but 11.2mph.
Mick F. Cornwall
fossala

Post by fossala »

Mick F wrote:
fossala wrote: Either way, 17.7mph isn't exactly slow.
No, and I'm impressed! :D

I'm lucky to get an average of 14mph here.
Today's ride was only 14.5 miles and 1,300ft of climbing, but 11.2mph.

I was giving it some, most of the time it takes about 45mins to get home.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Damn! 17.7 mph that's good.
I thought I was improving when i managed an average 10.3 mph on a 25 mile cycle challenge. Trice QNT.
They do love their hills don't they.

I see I've still got a long way to go. :(

On the plus side....
Since the ride my average speed has been 12-13.4 mph so I guess it did some good then. :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Next time I’m down your way with a trim (or a bit past your way) we should arrange to fill in more if your map
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.