KMX Koyote

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
PJM496

KMX Koyote

Post by PJM496 »

Hello ladies and gents,

I’m fairly new to the forum. I’ve been trawling around, reading people’s posts and trying to build on my knowledge and hopefully avoid asking what some may see as irrelevant questions, or questions that have been asked many times before.

So far I have only made one post and that was to advertise a bike for sale.

I am planning to move over to recumbent trike touring. I like the style and feel it will suit my needs very well.

It’s something I have wanted to do for many years but have always found it pretty much out of reach financially. As you all know even good secondhand trikes quite rightly hold their value.

I have a little money put to one side and would like to try to move forward.

I have seen the Performance trikes advertised on Ebay and these are affordable to me. I’ve read the various reviews which seem generally positive for what they are. I have 2 worries in relation to them, 1) spares and parts and 2) I am aware of the import duty and VAT etc. The VAT is easy but trying to find info on import duty is proving difficult, (for me), and I’d hate to order then get hit with a huge additional bill I can’t then pay.

In regards to Europe I’ve also seen the trikes advertised on Ebay from Latvia. Whilst they ‘look’ ok I am unsure of the maker, have no idea of quality and am unable to source any reviews.

KMX now offer the Koyote, which I’ve had a look at. Again there’s very little info out there. I like the idea they are from the UK, so support should be good.

Do any riders here have experience of the Koyote? Is it a realistic consideration for UK road touring, maybe pulling a 2 wheel trailer at times, or is it more of a ‘fun’ play trike?

Whilst I would love to get myself something quickly, so that I can enjoy the better weather over the next few months, (who am I trying to kid), I don’t want to buy something that I will grow out of, or that will reach it’s limit quickly.

Buying something now that I can upgrade moving forward would be the ideal plan but purchasing something initially, that it wouldn’t be worth upgrading later, is also a waste of time.

Thank you all for taking a moment with this and for any help and advice you feel you can give.

Kindest regards, and stay safe.

Paul.
[XAP]Bob

Re: KMX Koyote

Post by [XAP]Bob »

If you are budget constrained then seriously consider second hand...

I have a baby Kmx in the garage, it is somewhat industrial compared with the ICE, but if you aren’t switching between them then I’m sure the KMX will do a fine job, and you’ll have no major complaints.

Where are you based? Peterborough PE4 according to the for sale post.

Have you spoken with Kevin at DTek (Thetford) yet?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
bryan.fanson1

Post by bryan.fanson1 »

I have a Performer JC70-AL and my son has a KMX K-3. I bought both direct from the manufacturer and received excellent service from both. There are no worries about spares from Performer, just send off an email to Christine and she'll get you sorted. If I remember the import duties were around £80-100 but that was about 5 years ago. Both companies make great trikes for the money and excellent value and you won't go far wrong with either. Take your time to choose something that appeals to you as you are more likely to use it. If you are going to use the trike for touring I highly recommend that you get your chosen trike with mtb gearing, Performer offer a number of choices on each of their models whereas KMX's used to be model specific, not sure about now as I've not been on their website for some time.
I went with Performer for my own trike because of two things; I liked the fact I could spec it as I wanted and I preferred how it looked.Image
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

I have a KMX Cobra had it from new, OK in may not be as sleek as the top-end, but it is built for a price. I've had mine since 09/2014 and nothing has gone wrong and still rides very well.
piratepete

Post by piratepete »

I have one and really like it. It can fold, not that I have had need to yet. With a set of kojack tires it goes like the clappers. I got mine with a slightly smaller chairing as it is hilly where I am, and I am not so fit. The first few had dodgy seats. Barry at KMX sent a new revised seat free of charge. They all have the new seat now. KMX are working on a rear rack which I am looking forward to. Sadly I am rubbish at using my tablet/internet so can't post a picture.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I think the Kmx Venom at £1200 is a bargain, but non folding.
PJM496

Post by PJM496 »

Thanks all for the replies, it is much appreciated.

I am interested in the Performer trikes but, when looking at import etc, I end up more confused than before I started - My wife may argue that’s not difficult!! :lol: :lol:
bryan.fanson1

Post by bryan.fanson1 »

PJM496 wrote:Thanks all for the replies, it is much appreciated.

I am interested in the Performer trikes but, when looking at import etc, I end up more confused than before I started - My wife may argue that’s not difficult!! [emoji38] [emoji38]
I know. When I worked out the import duties and VAT for mine, it came to about £360 if I remember. However I only had to pay the courier around £80-100 before delivery. I can never work out the duties correctly. I've had stuff come in with no duties that should have attracted a fair sum and small cheap things that have cost more in duties than I paid for them, especially orders from the USA.
PJM496

Post by PJM496 »

I think I’ll just work on worst case scenario with Performer and anything better will be a bonus and leave me some money to spend.

I’ve emailed them directly to see what they come back with.

I’m also going to try to speak to Kevin at DTek as he’s not far away from me, (thanks [XAP]Bob).

Have you been happy with your trike bryan.fanson1? Have you done much loaded touring at all?
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Customs is 14% but it compounds with VAT. If you allow 40% for customs and VAT you won't be far off.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

UpWrong wrote:Customs is 14% but it compounds with VAT. If you allow 40% for customs and VAT you won't be far off.

So as usual you end up paying TAX on the VAT or VAT on TAX either way the system screws you out of more of your hard earned! :twisted:

VAT is/was only supposed to be charged on LUXURY goods. :wink:
The PTB must think that feeding yourself is a luxury not a necessity. :lol:

PTB= Powers That Be.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

And they both compound on top of the delivery charge too. :shock:
PJM496

Post by PJM496 »

Well......

Today I’ve had my Performer JC26-X (XT) delivered, having only ordered it last Sunday!

I’m still waiting to see what I get charged Customs and VAT wise, but am stealing myself for the worst case scenario!

I must say the communication and service I have received from Christine at Performer has been without fault.

So far, due to work, I have only unpacked the box and had a quick look at all the items and hope to start assembling the trike this weekend.

Everything was well packed and there seems to be no damage.

I am extremely impressed by the ‘extras’ that have come with the trike; -

Water bottle & cage.
Set of lights.
Set of rear pannier bags and small front bag.
2 x spare front inner tubes.
Bottle of matching paint.

Once assembled I’ll try to figure out how to post some pics.

Many thanks again to all who advised.

Kind regards,

Paul
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Enjoy your trike! Post photos of your trike on its maiden voyage.

It's always exciting to unbox a new bike. Only done it once with a planet x upright. That came fully assembled with just pedals to put on and bars to b turn round. Even the seat was at the right height for me (how did they know?).

That was fun. Not fun was waiting until I could ride it!