Larger Back Roller Pro Ortliebs on a streetmachine?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Tangled Metal

Larger Back Roller Pro Ortliebs on a streetmachine?

Post by Tangled Metal »

As chief mule I'm looking at a four pannier system on my SMGT. However I'm considering the 70 litre back roller pro classic with the normal back roller classics too.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/ortlieb-back-roller-pro-classic-ql21-panniers-redblack-70-litre/

I'm assuming the normal classics on the lowrider with most weight and the larger pro ones on the back. The pros are bigger by height 4cm, width 1cm at the bottom / 4cm at the top and depth 9cm. Basically there's a big difference between the amount it sticks out from the pannier rack. 9cm is a lot to stick out. I'm thinking lower weight stuff but more bulk than anything. Bearing in mind we've got a 5 year old who doesn't carry much (new rack fitted on his bike - he's so proud of his bike is a proper bike).

So my questions are about the size. Will it be too big? I'm wondering if the lowrider panniers would stick out more than if I put the range size on the back rack. Is the lowrider a wider rack between the two sides? Will the wider panniers feel different to normal back rollers?

Does anyone own pair of the larger back roller pros?

I'm trying to work out if the £40 extra is worth it. I don't have to use the volume but it's there if I need it. Plus it'll allow a neater load, no dry bag on top of the rack. Just four panniers.

What's your opinion?
Tangled Metal

Re: Larger Back Roller Pro Ortliebs on a streetmachine?

Post by Tangled Metal »

PS I've never had a bike that could take four panniers before and I'm also new to recumbents. It'll be an experience no matter what I do.
Trikeyohreilly

Re: Larger Back Roller Pro Ortliebs on a streetmachine?

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

I found that standard Ortliebs did make contact on very steep leaning turns like turning in the road. Shocked me more than anything. Fitted some smaller Vaude panniers i already had and no problem.

I should imagine you will be fine to use the large ones on the back.

Keeping weight low on the bike is preferable. Water and food low, bulky light items like sleeping bag up higher.