HP Velotechnik Speedmachine

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Tangled Metal

Re: HP Velotechnik Speedmachine

Post by Tangled Metal »

Just getting confident on my streetmachine. Guess I need to get my hands on a fast recumbent now I'm confident at 25+mph. Once you learn to relax through experience they're really quite planted bikes I think.
fossala

Post by fossala »

pete75 wrote:
fossala wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Yeah but if you have your own estate 3,000 quid must be chicken feed to you. Why didn't you get one of your keepers to run him off?

Council house estate...

Difference between urban and rural views I guess. Someone around here says estate and you think of things like Grimsthorpe and Irnham estates.

I'm fairly rural being in Cornwall. but it takes me around half a mile to get into the countryside...
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

I found tillers quite odd, I can see that aero bars would be more like the turn you do on a DF. That said everything on my speedmacine is new to me (position, tiller, hydraulic brakes, suspension, gears) so I'm not ready to chuck out the tiller just yet (though I was tempted).
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
fossala

Post by fossala »

belgiangoth wrote:I found tillers quite odd, I can see that aero bars would be more like the turn you do on a DF. That said everything on my speedmacine is new to me (position, tiller, hydraulic brakes, suspension, gears) so I'm not ready to chuck out the tiller just yet (though I was tempted).

The aerobars are working great for me. I think I would find the tilers to twitchy.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Tangled Metal wrote:Just getting confident on my streetmachine. Guess I need to get my hands on a fast recumbent now I'm confident at 25+mph. Once you learn to relax through experience they're really quite planted bikes I think.

The Streetmachine is fast as long as you point it down a suitable hill...

On sinuous rural descents, particularly with rather varied surface quality, I can leave the upwrongs in the local CTC group (including road bikes with fitter, better riders) in my wake quite easily. A heads-up view of where you're going by default, brakes and rider position that won't send you head-first over the bars if you overdo it, full suspension and rather bigger tyres than road bikes have and a lower centre of mass contribute to much excitement potential going down.

Having said that, my wife's Fiero (about a head lower riding position) is noticeably quicker when wind is a major factor, which would include screaming downhill at maximum throttle.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

You have had it a little while now, Fossala , how is it going?
NUKe

Post by fossala »

NUKe wrote:You have had it a little while now, Fossala , how is it going?

Sorry, missed this. It's going great. Put in over 500 miles. The rear tyre locks up under hard braking but even when it does it doesn't feel like I'm going to spill. For the riding I do I think it's the best recumbent out there, it really is perfect for the rough country back roads. I'll take a picture of my bike on my ride home from work tomorrow.
fossala

Post by fossala »

Picture today on my commute home. I've got some Sram ultimate brakes to put on but haven't got round to it yet.