Nearly done it!

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Cove Scout

Nearly done it!

Post by Cove Scout »

A few years ago I had a test ride on an ICE Trike. It was amazing but cost and the fact I was fairly happy on my Dawes tourer stopped me going any further. Initial interest in a recumbent trike was after a fall on my bike but it was only a bit of gravel rash so I carried on.

In June this year I had another fall but this time it was nasty and I ended up with a lot of fractured bones.

Getting back on my Dawes has made me a bit nervous so I have started looking at trikes again.

Currently bidding for a Trice Q.

Anyone got any advice about the Trice Q? I will be commuting daily 16mile each way on it if I get it.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Nearly done it!

Post by [XAP]Bob »

As with all trikes - have fun - take the lane, don’t expect to be up to full speed straight away
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Cove Scout wrote:Anyone got any advice about the Trice Q? I will be commuting daily 16mile each way on it if I get it.
If 406 (20") rear wheel then suspension is a must IMO, otherwise the Q is a good piece of kit (based on my wife's 2006 'T').
However, I suspect that your 16 miles each way commute is going to be a challenge at first ie for the first 500 miles or so until you get your bent legs. (Is this something you do now on the Dawes?) [XAP]Bob should have a few more tips...
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Important Q - where are you based?

What’s your current lighting setup for commuting?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Cove Scout wrote:Currently bidding for a Trice Q.
This one? Looks like a QNT to me (ie narrow track) similar to the 'S' that I used to run (Track for Q is 31.5″ (80 cm), 27.5″ (70 cm) for the Q NT if you want to ask). Now't wrong with narrow track (indeed has aerodynamic advantages), unless you are of the beamy disposition, which I doubt if you do a regular 32 mile commute! (Fitting fat thighs between the steering controls would be the issue.) Don't think the NT models were labelled as such - there's a comprehensive, contemporary review here and here.
Has all the useful, but expensive, extras (ICE mudguards, rack, parking brake - useful as they tend to roll away without a brake on :roll: ) plus the hardshell seat which you may, or may not, get on with (ultimately I didn't with the 'S', which was one reason I sold it after a few years). Twistgrip shifters may or not be your thing - on the 'S' I converted the front shift to bar end, as it need a fair amount of effort to twist, but many get on fine with them.
Good luck with the auction!
"42"
D.TEK HPVS

Post by D.TEK HPVS »

If you require any help or advice on buying an ICE Q or T series give me a call .
It might save you £££££££££££'s
The one on Ebay auction is a Mk1 Qnt narrow track
You need to check the swing arm (elephant tusks) carefully for cracking (later models had a "patch plate" on the driven side
The early shocker plate is known to be a weak zone and the stainless bush housing can crack .
Ask about the riders weight and the type of shocker used (YELLOW soft RED medium GREEN hard .
If it looks like a doughnut ...........its knacked .....but constant use can over strain the swing arm leading to failure
Swing arm bushes can wear leading to "Tea Trolley" handling or go stiff or simply seize
The main cruciform is steel (*untreated steel on the inside ) and the front boom and rear section are Ali .
With a built in watertrap if the drain hole is blocked !"£$%
That lovely orange water sits in the bilge creating a super strength pickling solution …. :shock:
Well you have probably guessed the outcome !
Better check the front boom has not frozen and if the rear section has been removed since new ???
So that's ten years or more ….yep that old :?
Be prepared ….some cruciform frames have corroded away and collapsed :!: . :cry:

I have "horror" pictures on file and before you ask ICE do not have any original replacements

But I have ………..plus loads of other Q T spares including new and used Mark 2 swingarms

Good luck with the Ebay bidding ….
Unless you do your homework and inspect pre auction …..buying sight unseen is very dodgy

I have an extensive buyers checklist based on buying one or two or perhaps more trikes over years :lol: .
hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

D.TEK HPVS wrote:
I have an extensive buyers checklist based on buying one or two or perhaps more trikes over years :lol: .

Will you be at Mildenhall over the weekend ? :wink:
hercule

Post by hercule »

It looks identical to mine – which is now 12 years old (though mine has a mesh seat).

I can’t see I’ve had any trouble with it over the years – in fact it’s probably been the most reliable pedal powered machines and I have had. Having said that, mine is very carefully looked after and not abused – dirty weather is for upright bikes!

I’ve been delighted with my QNT, it rides very well, handled very well, and I’ve done a good few thousand miles on it over the years. Despite the availability of newer, fancier, models, I certainly wouldn’t want to part with mine.
D.TEK HPVS

Post by D.TEK HPVS »

How to do a simple rust bug test on a Q or T ICE trike in less than 2 mins and no spanners or allen key tools required :roll:
Take one pipe cleaner or mini flossing brush *(for gaps between the teeth )
Apply two drops of water to either style of brush cleaner
Now slide or poke into the drain hole of the central cruciform
Rotate and push up and down for 20 seconds and then remove .
Upon close inspection of the brush ???
or wiped out onto a white tissue paper .
Red or Orange or Yellow = Rust
Black = a sludge build up
Clear = all ok
Greasy = some king soul has dosed with Waxoil or similar frame saver product

Summary ...........traces of Red Orange Yellow Black ? .............

Time to save the frame with a major stripdown and inspection

I use a camera for my inspections and view the results on my laptop

Hope that helps .....Kevin D.TEK
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Someone got a bargain £721.99 winning bid.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

squeaker wrote:
Cove Scout wrote:Currently bidding for a Trice Q.
This one? Looks like a QNT to me (ie narrow track) similar to the 'S' that I used to run (Track for Q is 31.5″ (80 cm), 27.5″ (70 cm) for the Q NT if you want to ask). Now't wrong with narrow track (indeed has aerodynamic advantages), unless you are of the beamy disposition, which I doubt if you do a regular 32 mile commute! (Fitting fat thighs between the steering controls would be the issue.) Don't think the NT models were labelled as such - there's a comprehensive, contemporary review here and here.
Has all the useful, but expensive, extras (ICE mudguards, rack, parking brake - useful as they tend to roll away without a brake on :roll: ) plus the hardshell seat which you may, or may not, get on with (ultimately I didn't with the 'S', which was one reason I sold it after a few years). Twistgrip shifters may or not be your thing - on the 'S' I converted the front shift to bar end, as it need a fair amount of effort to twist, but many get on fine with them.
Good luck with the auction!

Narrow track models were labeled under the "Q" or "T" on the cruciform.
Having the Disc type parking brake is more useful as it can be used as a drag brake on long/steep downhill's.
Cove Scout

Post by Cove Scout »

Thanks for all the comments and sorry for the late reply. Looking at a catrike now.
D.TEK HPVS

Post by D.TEK HPVS »

80% of Catrikes have a fixed seat angle and do not fold .
Catrike have started to catch up on more recent models .
They tend to favour "direct steering" (just like a go cart )
If you have any wrist issues you might find "in direct steering " the better option as it does not load up
Ie two finger grip rather than bunch of bananas white knuckle !!
Always considered to be reasonably light but perhaps less refined when compared to the Euro trike designs .

If you thinking about new via personal import from the USA ?
Check your costings to avoid an unexpected shock
Why ?
A .You see the stateside price in $ then convert to £££
B., Then add Airfreight
C . Now add Tariff duty at around 14% to A and B
D. Vat at 20% and thats added to ABC
E. Unless you pay for door to door you will probablt get hit for Airport customs clearance upon arrival in the UK

If your drawn towards buying used Catrikes here in the UK ?
I have a choice of pre-owned Catrike models in stock
alongside Greenspeeds + HP Velo+ Hase+ Challenge+Optima and many more besides
Most are trade in's for ICE trikes
*now that might be a clue for further carefull research
Plus vast array of ICE trikes from custom to current 2018 models
Happy to advise ...........before you jump in the deep end

Hope thats helps .
Cove Scout

Post by Cove Scout »

Wow thanks for all the advice. Could you let me know what you have\would recommend?