Velo test...

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Velo test...

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Just had a test ride in a velomobile which is on sale relatively locally to me...

With my recent loss of balance - and therefore sale of my fun, and fast, raptobike - I have been looking at the possibility of getting a velo as a main vehicle, possibly even replacing my trike :cry:

Since I didn't manage to get close enough to test the borealis before it was sold, and have an eye on another (currently in Ely) I thought I'd have a test to see whether I was on a sane track...

The only I tested was based on an Azub trike, rear suspension only, and was a completely enclosed model.

First impressions:
- Fairly noisy, although an awful lot of this was due to the 'boot' lid not being well fitted. I was actually not put off by the noise (particularly as I am also somewhat deaf ;) )

- Easy to keep moving, and not that hard to get moving. I was on flat pedals, and no serious effort was put in, but reasonable speeds were attained and held (over 20mph on the flat without me being aware of it). Came off a corner at ~12mph and was at 20mph in about 4 seconds according to the ride log).

- Appreciated the rather nice remote opening windows at the front (controlled via Bowden cable from a driver operable position) (though they could rattle a bit when open)

- One of the mirrors was not really accessible in terms of adjustment from inside the cockpit (though I think that it could be, if I popped out one of the windows)

- Took bumps in the road with a fair bump and clatter - not being able to see the wheels does have an effect on how I perceived the ride quality I think, but also some of the potholes were pretty severe. One of the reasons I am more looking for a version with full strut suspension at the front (I think)

- Really appreciated being able to climb in and just put my walking poles (which I need for balance) in with me, not having to fold them down and try to strap them somewhere.

It's really not put me off at all...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
atlas_shrugged

Re: Velo test...

Post by atlas_shrugged »

Bob definitely go for it. Velomobiles are just another type of cycle and each type of cycle has its plus and minus.

It is fair to say that velomobiles are much better to use in NL, A, D etc because they have better cycle infra-structure. For example a 50 mile NL Oliebollentocht tour in mid-winter in freezing fog and minus 4 deg C conditions was a complete pleasure in a velomobile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE9NzijQgv0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3oTpAeNt7o
http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk/oliebollentocht-2016/

If you have cycle routes near to you that are suited to a velomobile then all is good. UK car drivers will often complain that velomobiles are too low down and they are not easy to see (need instant banning for poor eyesight reasons IMHO). So stick to known routes where the sightlines are good (i.e. no poor junctions). The advantages are increased speed, weather protection, luggage space, and being able to travel longer distances.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Given that the only other cycle I can ride at the moment is a 'bent trike, the velo is clearly higher...

Never had anyone genuinely not see me because I've been 'too low'. Had people look straight through me, but that's a different problem entirely.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Sinner have a used Mango Plus for slightly less dosh.Might be worth a trip. Stena Line currently have discount on ferries to Holland.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

UpWrong wrote:Sinner have a used Mango Plus for slightly less dosh.Might be worth a trip. Stena Line currently have discount on ferries to Holland.

Starting at 6500 Euros is still a bit rich...
Bilbosmeggins

Post by Bilbosmeggins »

I’d love a go in a velo. I’m guessing the one that you tested is the one in Leicester. I’ve been eyeing that one up as well. Keep checking the ads just in case something a bit more suitable crops up. Really need to try before I buy, as I’m not even sure I can enter and exit one, being a little on the larger side. Anyhow, congrats for getting a test-drive :D
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Still a bit on the pricey side, but it does look nice...

Getting there to test might be an issue
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

UpWrong wrote:3,750 euros actually, https://www.drymershop.nl/occasions/

Fully enclosed with lights and indicators, second battery and charger.
Even second hand that's a pretty good price especially from a dealer/shop. + It's just been serviced.

An ex-demo ICE sprint 2011 went for over £3,200 earlier this year and that didn't have any lights!

The lights on that velo would cost in excess of £300 (probably over £500 with the battery packs (X2) and charger) just to buy, never mind getting it fitted.

That sounds like a bargain to me. :wink: But I don't have the space for it + I've just bought an ICE Vortex FS and the wife would kill me. :lol:
Good luck to whoever gets it.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

It's reserved until Friday.
I suspect the shipping costs would be a little high for my liking, and I can't afford the time to cycle it home.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Im sure your already aware but the aluminium one who's name i cant quite remember now, Alleweder i think, was relatively cheap. £2.5k when I ordered mine, plus 1k if you didn't want to build it yourself which seemed fairly straight forward. Mine never arrived though and I had to cancel my order after about 4 months and no word. Second hand is cheaper though plus often extras as said above.. If you were happy with your test ride and the slight downsides you are on a winner I would say. Sorry to hear about your loss of balance, three wheels negate that of course. Good luck.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yep - the Alleweder is one I'm looking at. There might be a second hand one available... Need to go and test and then convince Kevin to sell it to me ;)

I like the design of the Alleweder - the A2 in particular (I like the scuttle bonnet) - partly because it screams out to me *wanting* to be customised, it makes it so easy (and there are a couple of things I'd want to change).

The weight is a little bit of a question, but I don't see it as a huge issue... I don't live in Cornwall or the Peak District, and can easily add 250W boost if I feel that I need the help up hills.