Battle Mountain - Guardian article

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
atlas_shrugged

Battle Mountain - Guardian article

Post by atlas_shrugged »

Mike Burrows and Glen Thompson have designed and made a bike called the Soup Dragon as a record breaker. The Guardian article describes an attempt at the record at Battle Mountain (currently 89 mph held by a Canadian Team):

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ord-nevada
D.TEK HPVS

Re: Battle Mountain - Guardian article

Post by D.TEK HPVS »

It appears that the Soup Dragon arrived in the States but not at the agreed delivery point !
Russell Bridge stated on the BHPC Forum " but is in Cincinatti customs (four day drive away)"
Latest news ……...The D.TEK supplied training recumbent "Red Baron" (actually its blue ) might be pressed into service .
Now that was not in the script ………..when I agreed to loan the bike to the team !"£$%
Further reports to follow …………...lets hope the Dragon is released in time :wink:
D.TEK HPVS

Post by D.TEK HPVS »

BANNER HEADLINE FROM DHL WEBSITE

Here’s the fastest way to check the status of your shipment. No need to call Customer Service – our online results give you real-time, detailed progress as your shipment speeds through the DHL network.

Unless your shipping a Soup Dragon from the UK to Battle Mountain USA

DHL cann't find it .............dispite phone calls .....it appears to have gone into a dark hole

What a great story for the Guardian Newspaper
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Have they tried whistling at the moon?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

A few years ago (2001) the BHPC World Championship were held on Brighton Seafront.

I was privy to a "gentle discussion" between Mike Burrows and a gentleman who was insisting he could put deckchairs along the route.

With that experience in mind, I would not like to be the Manager of the DHL deputy that "misplaced" the Soup Dragon
D.TEK HPVS

Post by D.TEK HPVS »

DHL have now found the Soup Dragon :D
Bad news …………...its been damaged in transit whilst in the safe hands of DHL :roll:
It was collected by the SD team after a long drive across country and finally it has arrived looking a bit sad :oops:
However folk from other teams have offered help with repairs 8)
It should be out on the road by Friday morning with Wing Commander Russell at the the controls :) :) :) :)
if anyone has pictures of the Soup Dragon arriving at Battle Mountain with all the battle scars could they pop them on here please .
fossala

Post by fossala »

D.TEK HPVS wrote:DHL have now found the Soup Dragon :D
Bad news …………...its been damaged in transit whilst in the safe hands of DHL :roll:
It was collected by the SD team after a long drive across country and finally it has arrived looking a bit sad :oops:
However folk from other teams have offered help with repairs 8)
It should be out on the road by Friday morning with Wing Commander Russell at the the controls :) :) :) :)
if anyone has pictures of the Soup Dragon arriving at Battle Mountain with all the battle scars could they pop them on here please .

There are some pictures here http://forum.bhpc.org.uk/battle-mountai ... page3.html Doesn't look pretty.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

fossala wrote:There are some pictures here http://forum.bhpc.org.uk/battle-mountai ... page3.html Doesn't look pretty.
Neither does the steering wobble :( :shock:
"42"
D.TEK HPVS

Post by D.TEK HPVS »

The team might be tempted to bid on a bright orange HP Speedmachine listed on Ebay as a late replacement :o
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Surely not! (I'd lend them mine if that were the case, though I am in the wrong country)
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.