Keeping feet warm while inactive.

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Trikeyohreilly

Keeping feet warm while inactive.

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Hi.

I fundamentally use my trike (moving easy chair) to carry enough equipment and food/water supplies to beautiful places preferably with lots of wildlife for overnight stays. I have lots of warm clothes for top and bottom. It's my feet that can suffer after periods of inactivity.

I feel that SPDs are basically a must for trike riding and also make sitting on the trike more comfortable even when not riding. I have neoprene over shoes and have ordered a second larger pair in order to double them up. I feel though that even this will be insufficient after several hours in the winter. Riding for a period warms me of course, but that also breaks my cover and scares the wildlife I came to see.

Has anyone any clever idea in wrapping feet? I'm no stranger to needle and thread but already need to build a waterproof covering for them. Large army socks can fit over my SPDs but I think they will fail and unthread when I cut them to allow access the cleats even when hemed.Winter SPDs are very expensive and again I fear will not be enough alone. Perhaps a standard winter boot cut to take cleats might work, I have some that were cheap and don't mind tinkering with, they are however very wide and might rub on the crank arms or provide an odd pedal placement.

Perhaps toe clips should be considered, but I have no experiance with them. Do they allow for effective "spinning"?

Any thoughts gratefully received. Thank you.
Trikeyohreilly

Re: Keeping feet warm while inactive.

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

SPD sandals were something else I thought of. Multiple layers of socks under extended straps may well work and would be highly breathable so staying dry. Again though the expense puts me of without some user recommendations.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... make sitting on the trike more comfortable even when not riding ...

This is the bit that has thrown me. I've a general idea of how to keep feet warm when riding and if it was a problem when outdoors but not riding I'd be thinking of the solutions anglers use for prolonged periods of inactivity but it sounds as though you are using your trike as some sort of chair. :?

What does moving easy chair mean?
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

I find my trike the most comfortable seat in the house. I got rid of my lazy boy chair and thanks to an understanding wife I keep it the front room to sit on all the time (there isn't anywhere else safe to be fair). The lumbar support is excellent.. I'm just lucky that my favourite chair happens to have wheels and great luggage capacity.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

I'm not getting cold feet at home though only when camping/wildlife watching.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

As I read your OP, I was confused by the need to have SPD compatibility while not actually cycling. Trying to achieve it seems to be the source of the complications. Why not just have some loose sort of foot muff in which you can protect your inactive feet?

PS What about something like this?

https://www.activemobility.co.uk/wheelc ... -1118.html
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

I like that, thanks for the link. Unfortunately it would be fouled by the cruiform and derailer stub. If my feet are not on the pedals it significantly changes the comfort of the seat.and lumber support. I have down trousers so my legs are warm, it's just my feet.
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

You could always do away with the SPD's and use heel straps instead, then you'll be free to wear whatever footwear you chose. Or tin foil over your toes, on top of the socks but inside the shoes, shiny side in.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

You’ll do better with an insole to insulate you from the cleat - that’s eherebyoull lose heat.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

We seem to be on different wavelengths here. My understanding is that your feet are OK when riding so there's no point in altering anything there. If what's essentially a big insulated bag for both feet together is unsuitable, why not separate insulated bags for each foot?

One of the basic principles for keeping feet warm is nothing tight because it restricts the circulation. ie It's counter-productive to put extra or thicker socks in your normal shoes. To fit thicker socks you need bigger shoes. You are talking about taking that a step further with boots so large they might interfere with pedalling, but there's no point if your feet are already ok when riding. Hence my suggestion that you need something loose but well-insulated over your cycling shoes.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Heal straps sound interesting, I'll have to look that up as I haven't heard of them before.

Yes insoles also. Cold metal plates near the foot can only be a bad thing.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Totally agree third. Loft is paramount in insulation. My feet are great when riding it's the hours I spend afterwards that cause the problem.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

I come from a backpacking background so I have been buying shoes at least one size too big for a while. Restriction of circulation or indeed hampering loft is totally counter productive. Hence maybe SPD sandals, removing then replacing layers as required.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Sandels were referred to as Nike air Jerusalems when I was at school, but I would take the unccol hit for warm feet anytime.
OldBloke

Post by OldBloke »

If you used Power Grips on your pedals you could used whatever boots you wanted.
See http://www.powergrips.com/
They come in a longer size for plus size feet that would work with thick boots.

My 2c

OB