Keeping feet warm while inactive.

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
nigelnightmare

Re: Keeping feet warm while inactive.

Post by nigelnightmare »

+1 on electric socks.

Look on eBay/Amazon etc.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

One other effect of heated sock is that they will help to keep your feet dry.
I'm normally ok with the cold until I get damp due to sweating too much.
In cold weather I normally carry a change of socks to change into halfway around a long ride due to this.

The best waterproof socks I've used where very thin ones which I could wear under my normal socks. This kept my thick wooly outer socks dry and my feet warmer in the long run.
mark aldridge

Post by mark aldridge »

I also suffer from perpetually cold hands and feet and carry gloves even in the summer.
Here are a list of various things I have tried from cheapest/easiest to dearest/complex.
Hot drinks and porridge
Vaseline
Tiger Balm
Bathroom filler round cleats.
Duck tape over any shoe holes/vents
Insulated insoles (make your own out of estate agents For Sale signs).
Multiple changes of dry/warm WOOL socks (carry them down your bib tights).
Barrier socks/plastic bags.
Hand warmers down shoes.
Hill walking gaiters.
Over shoes.
Electric boot warmers.
Bigger shoes/boots with thicker/multiple socks
Bigger boots with arctic felted wool insoles or complete inner boots.
Winter cycling boots. I use a mixture of Bontrager OMM, Lake and Wolvhammer depending on my level of activity.
Fairing on trike.

In all honesty, if you can get away from SPD's and use over sized walking boots you are most of the way there. Fairings are magic if you can live with them as they keep your feet out of the wind and dry. Changing sweaty socks for warm dry ones works miracles if you do it regularly.

When you are standing still a square of insulating foam works wonders and for longer stays a bin liner/bivy sack is worth investing in.

Have a look in your local horse or agricultural suppliers shop. Their clients are used to standing outside in all weathers and are against paying too much for solutions.

Good luck

Mark
mark aldridge

Post by mark aldridge »

Just been whiling away an hour on the internet and came across these Northwave Himalaya boots. Northwave have a proven record of delivering impressive winter cycling shoes as these look as though they are. They are described as touring boots which hopefully means they have a more roomy toebox as Northwaves can be a bit pointy Italian at times.
I will read the runes and monitor the holly berries and if a long cold winter is indicated might "invest" my winter fuel payment in a pair.