Port Appin loop

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
PAB855

Port Appin loop

Post by PAB855 »

Trike recumbent users.

Has anyone used this short loop off the NCN route 78. The intention is to go from The Crearan Inn via Port Appin and back via Appin. Presumably there are stretches of single track road, but it looks as if it would be quiet until Port Appin. Maybe after that, things might change? Would other users in this developing area be sympathetic towards sharing the road with a recumbent trike?

Cheers
[XAP]Bob

Re: Port Appin loop

Post by [XAP]Bob »

In general I find most users sympathetic to the disabled bloke on a funny bike ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

I took my trike over to Lismore from Port Appin in October year before last, and the road from Appin to the ferry quay was pleasantly quiet, but the main road A828 is a "major" minor road, with heavy lorry traffic. I did see cycletrack and pavement separate from the main road for a good section of the A828, and a quick look at Google Streetview shows cyclepath/pavement between Appin and The Creagan Inn. I'd reckon you'd be off the main road for most if not all. The Pierhouse Hotel at Port Appin may be another good start/finish point to make the circuit round the peninsula
Lepus on Lismore
Lepus on Lismore
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Thanks both.

We are quite familiar with parts of the Oban to Fort William cycle route, but our previous visits were when my wife had a Pashley Tri-1 upright trike. Since then she has obtained an ICE Adventure which has opened up a much wider range of possible routes without having to constantly be looking at the surface ahead for 'unfriendly ' hazards. We had an earlier ICE a few years ago, but sold it. This one is a dream, but has taken about a year to get it 'customised' including an electric motor.All thanks to David at Laid Back Bikes and Douglas at The Edinburgh Bicycle Company.

We like that coastal route very much, but are frustrated at the lack of a completed link at Duror, despite great efforts by a local landowner.

Going back there in July and already looking forward to it.

Cheers
skelo

Post by skelo »

[XAP]Bob wrote:In general I find most users sympathetic to the disabled bloke on a funny bike ;)

Likewise!
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

The route from Creagan Inn ( I generally park on the other side of the bridge on the minor road round Loch Creran about under the bridge) where they are not happy about non customers using the car park is ok until the bridge over the river near the first turn off to Port Appin. The path here over the bridge is very narrow and an Ice Adventure may have a problem. The main road is downhill over the bridge so you could pick a moment and go on the road to the road end on the left. The road here is very fast ( allegedly 50 mph) with a bad sight line. From this point cross the road on to the old railway line which takes you to the main road where turning left then almost immediately right at the garage takes you to the Port Appin road. Beyond Port Appin there are a few very steep hills but the road is not busy. I have an interest in this as I frequently cycle around here but have just got an Ice Adventure trike which I have not had up there yet. Crossing the bridge I reckon I may walk and push the trike both ways as if you go off the edge you would be tipped into the carriageway and as I said the line of sight is short and traffic fast. You could end up in hedgehog mode before you could get up. My next visit to that area is in about 2 or 3 weeks and I will have a tape measure to check the width.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

On reflection PAB855 you will be better doing the Port Appin loop in a clockwise direction and turning left just after the bridge with the narrow path if going towards Appin. Make sure your brakes are in good nick as there is a steep hill down into PA with a bend. When you get to Appin on the return keep an eye out for a cycle path sign just as you come into the village which takes you down past some houses and the school to the path again where you only have to cross the main road rather than travel along it to get back to your starting point. From memory this may be restricted in width but may be ok now. I would start this loop from the big layby just beyond Castle Stalker at the entrance road to Linnhe Marine. From here cycle back towards Appin on a flat path and you only have to cross the busy main road twice to complete the loop. Once I get my “ recumbent legs” in tune this is the route I will take.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

My experience is that most cycle tracks are built to fit wheel chairs so unless there is an anti-cycling barrier then trikes fit.
What you have to be more careful of is the overgrowth of nettles, thistles, roses, etc, etc.
For true off-road tracks then it tends to be the slope upwards/sideways that defeats me
unless I get bogged down it sand/mud.

It looks like a "fun" loop, enjoy ............. :D
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Our visit there will be in early July and we are looking forward to doing this loop having done the cycle path from Benderloch to the long layby a couple of times. On one of the visits we arrived at the Creagan Inn just as the heavens opened looking forward to shelter and a bite to eat, only to be met with a wee paper note pinned to the door flapping in the wind. Closed. It had an apology added. It turned out they had unfortunately had a bereavement and were all away to a funeral in Glasgow!

Let us know how you get on with the trike. Our previous visits were on a Pashley upright and we remember the narrow pavement. It's not a very enjoyable section of the route.

Thanks for the advice about the loop

Cheers
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Just an update on an earlier post. When coming from Creagan Bridge I mentioned a narrow bit in the path at a bridge near the first Port Appin turn off. Due to storms and a variety of causes I have only now got round to checking this out. The narrowest bit on the path is 42 inches from the wall on the left to the inside edge of the kerb so enough space for an Ice Adventure HD. I would add a photo if I knew how to do it but apart from the awkward turn to cross the road there is no problem. Creagan Inn is very definite about no parking unless a customer.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Don't forget the "Jungle formula" to keep the Midgies away!
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Thanks for these two postings. Much appreciated