Challenge suspension explain?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
speedy7777

Challenge suspension explain?

Post by speedy7777 »

Could someone who knows describe the design of the rear suspension of Challenge bikes like the Furai, Fujin or Sieran, please.
Ive been looking for ages and cant tell if the frame has a pivot built in to it or if its only the seat which has a pivot and is suspended and the main frame is one piece. I hope thats clear.
$_86.JPG
UpWrong

Re: Challenge suspension explain?

Post by UpWrong »

Yes, the swing-arm pivots and compresses the shock against the seat. There's an animated gif of it on the challenge bikes web site, but it's not responding at the moment.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I have the first Hurricane imported into the UK... It is an elastomer suspension
speedy7777

Post by speedy7777 »

Ok thanks upwrong that makes sense.
hercule

Post by hercule »

I've never ridden (or seen) one, but that suspension shock seems in precisely the wrong orientation: will every pedal stroke not contribute to compressing the shock? Could it make for a bouncy rear on steep climbs? The shock on my Fuego is pretty much perpendicular to the chain run.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

hercule wrote:I've never ridden (or seen) one, but that suspension shock seems in precisely the wrong orientation: will every pedal stroke not contribute to compressing the shock? Could it make for a bouncy rear on steep climbs? The shock on my Fuego is pretty much perpendicular to the chain run.
Suspension element location is fairly irrelevant (except for exposure to the elements and internal damping circuits), IMHO. It's the relation of the chain to the rear suspension main pivot point that counts. See online for discussions about virtual pivot point suspensions, for example.
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

And depends on the linkages as well, it’s fairly easy to construct a suspension geometry with the shock in any direction you like. It doesn’t change the behaviour of the suspension, just thenpackaging.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
hercule

Post by hercule »

Yes, of course, wasn’t thinking it through... looks like the chain passes though the centre line of the pivot so effects should be minimal. By contrast the chain runs substantially below the pivot on my BikeE AT and mashing the pedals can make for a pogoing experience!