Speedmachine mudguard questions

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

1. I have tried to fit a standard 20" mudguard to the front of my speedmachine, there appears to be something in the fork that comes down (maybe part of the suspension) that means that I can't tighten the bold/muguard high enough. Any thoughts?
2. Bikefix sell a set of mudguards for the bike at ~£44, seems to me this is just a front 20" and a rear 26" - or is there a special fitting at the rear.
3. Apologies, I'm sure I've asked it before, but I have not slept enough since.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
hercule

Re: Speedmachine mudguard questions

Post by hercule »

1. Not sure about the front; any photos and perhaps the collective intelligence of the forum might come up with an answer?

2. Not got a Speedmachine but a Fuego and I suspect at the rear there isn’t much difference - the rear guard probably has an extra pair of stays from a standard DF mudguard to stabilise it as there is no brake bridge to fix it to.

3. I find getting out on the bike for the day helps me sleep! :) IGMC...
Guzzler

Post by Guzzler »

My first post here, and on any forum for a few years, a bit rusty ...
Mine has nothing in the way of fitting a mudguard.
I haven't got them fitted at the moment, the one with 2 supports is the standard one that would have come new with the bike. The one with single support is off my Dahon folder. It would fit okay, just be a bit high off the wheel.
Perhaps post a pic?
Attachments
IMG_0815.JPG
IMG_0814.JPG
IMG_0813.JPG
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Anything here help?
"42"
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Thanks for that!
Basically I have (I think) a little less room under the mudguard than Guzzler, so a tight clearance with the 40s, but plenty of room with 28s. Looking closer and cleaning off some much it appears that the issue I initially had is because the suspension inside the fork goes all the way down, so attaching the mudguard at the fork crown can only be done to the depth of the fork tubing (which is less than a bottle boss).
I have currently jimmied it with washers.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Update photo, featuring kids bike mudguard @ front and dirtmonkey at the back (both second hand)
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Looks OK to me. :)
Maybe spray the front one black, or the back one silver. :mrgreen:
BarryFah

Post by BarryFah »

ok, thanks to all for the input. I was asking because there is a Chappy for sale here locally. Dont know anything about them but I was curious but I only know Honda.