Hand-bikes and suchlike

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Cyril Haearn

Hand-bikes and suchlike

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cycled the long way home from work Friday, saw two hand-bikes
The first one whizzed past but I was able to observe the second for a few moments
The rider sat like in a wheelchair, he pushed off with his hands on the wheel by the rim, then pedalled with his hands, the cranks were not offset like pedals on a bicycle, they were at the same o'clock, is that normal, are there alternatives?

Are two-wheeled hand-bikes possible?

A hand-bike need only be a little wider than a normal cycle, just a bit wider than a person

Visibility should be no problem, as quoted elsewhere: I see you out often on your bent, but do mortons not have trouble seeing you? :wink:

As the Rt Hon Ivor pointed out, hand-bikes could be good for people with balance problems etc, but I fear they are expensive

Please to try to avoid mentioning e-bikes here :?
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 17 Aug 2019, 5:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
[XAP]Bob

Re: Hand-bikes and suchlike

Post by [XAP]Bob »

You don’t offset hand cranks - the strength comes as much from the core as the arms, no good trying to twist the torso.

I’m sure you could have a two wheeled one, but I think balance would be an issue overall- the amount of body movement needed is likely to be quite difficult to counter.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thanks for that Bob, got me visualising legs moving alternately, but what about swimmers? In some strokes the arms move together, in others they move alternatively like legs when pedalling
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yes, they do (I used to swim a lot) but in fly and breaststroke a lot of the power comes from the torso - one of the reasons fly is actually faster than crawl over short distances - massive muscle contribution.

The offset when pedalling makes sense - you can’t generate all that much power with the core - that’s just used for stability.
With the arms however, they are weak compared with legs, and the “anchor point” (seat) is the same, so you can draw on your core muscles.
That’s why wheelchair racers bib up and down, they don’t stay down and aero whilst just using their arms.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

People use hand predominently trikes because they have leg strength problems and as such may not be able to support bike and rider on two wheels when stopped,they also don't climb as well as leg powered machines due to the greater strength of leg muscles.

Whilst you may not like e-assist,isn't an e-assisted hand trike an ideal option for a disabled handcyclist especially in hilly terrain?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:.. you may not like e-assist,isn't an e-assisted hand trike an ideal option for a disabled handcyclist especially in hilly terrain?

I am trying to refrain from commenting on things I do not know about, as you suggested :wink:
I love riding fixed, I know about that, I tell non-cyclists about it, some do not understand :?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:.. you may not like e-assist,isn't an e-assisted hand trike an ideal option for a disabled handcyclist especially in hilly terrain?

I am trying to refrain from commenting on things I do not know about, as you suggested :wink:

Good
I love riding fixed, I know about that, I tell non-cyclists about it, some do not understand :?

Ah well not everyone wants the same thing in life,people even wash their hands differently :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
RickH

Post by RickH »

The drive wheel on a handcycle is usually (always?) also the steering wheel so alternating cranks (at 180° to each other) would make it difficult not to weave about as the rider pushed each crank in turn.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.