Shouty upwrong rider.

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Mike Sales

Shouty upwrong rider.

Post by Mike Sales »

The thread about being told to wear a lid reminds me of the only time a cyclist shouted something at me.
I was out on my Bacchetta and a lycra roadie shouted "get a proper bike!"
I didn't have time to think of a suitable retort. I still haven't thought of anything snappy and crushing.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Tangled Metal

Re: Shouty upwrong rider.

Post by Tangled Metal »

Hah! At least you haven't had someone say to your partner "it's good they can get out like that!" when you're on your recumbent and she's on her upwrong.

Or the suv overtaking you with two fat kids hanging out the front and rear nearside windows to get a better look at you. Then one kid says "shouldn't you be with your carer?"

In both cases I was riding my SMGT. It's a two wheeled, recumbent tourer not a handbike or anything like that. Some people are simply ignorant!
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

SOME! :roll:
More like most. :twisted:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

'What you [they, anyone] think of me is none of my business'
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Tangled Metal wrote:Hah! At least you haven't had someone say to your partner "it's good they can get out like that!" when you're on your recumbent and she's on her upwrong.

Or the suv overtaking you with two fat kids hanging out the front and rear nearside windows to get a better look at you. Then one kid says "shouldn't you be with your carer?"

In both cases I was riding my SMGT. It's a two wheeled, recumbent tourer not a handbike or anything like that. Some people are simply ignorant!

Once had a wonderful chat with two young lads, who told me they were doing a project on Paralympics, and they were genuinely intersted in how trikes helped.

No problem discussing the advantages, and didn't have the heart to tell them I was not actually disabled
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Suggested retorts:

"You should be wearing a helmet" - "No need - I'm travelling feet first, not head first"

"That's cheating" (as I wiz past) - "You bet it is, why ride a slow bike when you can ride a fast one"

"Your invisible, you'll get yourself killed" - "How did you see me then?"

"Are you disabled" (from a teenager as I sat on the start line of a charity ride) - I just wiggled each of my arms and legs in turn then shook my head

"That looks like hard work" - "Nope, it's easy"
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Upright rider to downwrong rider:
"Do they charge extra for the chip on your shoulder?"
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Seriously, you need to ride a recumbent to experience this. People have enough trouble understanding upright bike riders that recumbents blow their minds. They simply don't see that it's just another type of bike.

It's not a chip on our shoulder this is simply a series of amusing misunderstandings by people who are ignorant of all things recumbent. It's funny the first few times it happens to you but it soon gets tiring having to explain things to people, if you get the chance of course. A lot of these comments are made in the same way as the helmeted rider in that other thread like this. Made on the fly so you don't have time to explain the truth or even reply.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Don't worry, I was just poking a little fun.

Many down-wrong riders I know have picked their vehicle *because* it's not usual (and I can relate to that), so it's a little amusing when they then moan about the comments it attracts.

But we're all in this together :) Except for the hipsters - none of us like them, do we?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I picked mine because it was a cheap but very good secondhand tourer. Plus unlikely to lose much should I sell it on. I was interested in trying a recumbent but I could have tried one at a local BHPC meet next time they come to Lancaster, I reckon. Buying it was really a spur decision. Certainly not about it being different. That's just my reasons. It certainly wasn't faster or more fun just better at handling a touring load, as in no real difference loaded or not other than weight that is.

Hipster cyclists are just normal cyclists waiting to grow up and realise style isn't everything (unless you're a roadie) and for that reason we shouldn't hate them just pity them. :D
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Someone I know was on his 'bent bike, stopped, and was asked if he was disabled. "Yeah, it's my legs" he deadpanned. This was taken entirely at face value. <facepalm>
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Upwrong downright
Updown wrongright
Wrongdown riiiiiiiightup
Downup rightwrong (who was that manic-depressive masked man?)
Wrong
Right
Down
Up

My butt hurts.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

A new feature I discovered on my last commute was drivers serenading me with their horns, not the angry long blasts; a series of short bursts. Not entirely unlike when they’ve won at the football.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Tangled Metal wrote:Seriously, you need to ride a recumbent to experience this. People have enough trouble understanding upright bike riders that recumbents blow their minds. They simply don't see that it's just another type of bike.

People act even more funny if you ride a velomobile with hood and a few are really surprised that somebody is sitting inside! Its like they expect a velomobile to be a autonomous robot-drone or something...
ICE VTX 3x700, ICE Vortex-Leader 3x26", ICE Sprint 26 eTrike, Milan GT
Blog: http://etrike.wordpress.com