Tyres for trike

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
climo

Tyres for trike

Post by climo »

Running on Marathon Pluses which are almost puncture proof. They're slow though so I'd like to try something else on the front at least. I've got front suspension so balloon tyres like Big Apple aren't needed. Don't want Trykers though
Has to be 20", reasonably light, puncture proof and fast. The holy grail of tyres really isn't it.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Tyres for trike

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Can I ask why not trykers?

If you live in a flint ridden area then Incan understand it, but they are otherwise an excellent combination.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
climo

Post by climo »

Flint & Blackthorn - a deadly combo.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yep - the tryker sidewalls won’t take too much abuse.
Marathon racers?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
climo

Post by climo »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Yep - the tryker sidewalls won’t take too much abuse.
Marathon racers?

They're interesting. Less than half the weight.

Anything else out there?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Given your terrain issues I think they’re worth a try - they’re as light/fast as the M range goes, but are still pretty fairy repellant
hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

At the risk of worrying those who like the Trykers, it would seem that the design hasn't been a big enough seller for Schwalbe - I read that they're to be discontinued.

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=148286

I'm another rider who has settled on Marathon Plus despite their lack of speed - flint and thorns abound on my local routes, so I sacrifice a little speed to avoid the hassle of fixing a flat in the dark.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

I haven't noticed much difference in speed between M racers, M or M+!
Although the Racers are lighter and easier to fit my average speed only varies by 0.1-0.3mph over a 34 mile run which could easily be caused by the weather (wind/rain).
I now run 50-406 on the Qnt front (Go-bike Vredestein) and they're just as fast as the 40-406 M racers But a lot more comfortable.

People put too much emphasis on "SPEED".
It's not a race, enjoy the ride and it the M+'s take 5min's longer for the journey. :mrgreen:
LEAVE 5 MINUTES EARLIER! :roll:
And think about how long it takes to fix a flat/change a tube at the side of the road, if you're worried about the M+'s being slower.
johnstol

Post by johnstol »

Further to hoarder's post about Tryker tyres:

I like Tryker tyres, so I looked up where I bought them last time: bike24.com (in Germany). They say they currently (5 Oct 2019) have 50+ in stock.

So if you want Trykers... The bike24.com website is easy to buy from.

I bought 6. :)
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

nigelnightmare wrote:People put too much emphasis on "SPEED".
It's not a race, enjoy the ride and it the M+'s take 5min's longer for the journey. :mrgreen:
LEAVE 5 MINUTES EARLIER! :roll:
And think about how long it takes to fix a flat/change a tube at the side of the road, if you're worried about the M+'s being slower.

I've only used M+'s once and I didn't like them.
It wasn't so much the loss of speed but the change in ride quality.
Going from light Racers to the heavy M+'s made the trike feel dead.
It took a little it longer to get to speed and a little it harder to keep to a speed.
So it wasn't as much fun ....... :(
I'd probably got used to the feel but I changed the fronts out back to a lighter tyre and only kept the back one on before I did.
Just like I've only run Kojaks once.
They gave me a fast but harsh ride, so they all got changed out as well.

I use a 50-406 Big Apple on the back of my trike.
I think it's about halfway in terms of speed/puncture protection between the likes of a M+ and a Racer/Tryker.

Luck ........ :D
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

Duranos seem OK.

You can try Durano DD if you want extra protection.
#
OldBloke

Post by OldBloke »

I've found with the M+ that, since they don't flex as much, I have to run them at a higher pressure to get a similar speed. But, it gives a harsher ride. It seems you have a choice: speed, puncture protection, comfort; choose two. :? :)
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Tubeless?
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

belgiangoth wrote:Tubeless?

Fine until you get a puncture that doesn't seal...……………….Then it gets messy!
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Swalbe Shreddas. Are a BMX race tyre but reasonably durable. Not on trike but Irun them during the summer months on the Grasshopper or Kojaks, depends upon what you are intending on doing

Try this place,
http://www.wrhpv.com/ukshop/tyres/406/
used them quite a bit
NUKe