Highracers - any experiences or advice ?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
swscotland bentrider

Re: Highracers - any experiences or advice ?

Post by swscotland bentrider »

I've looked at these frames. Was your frame designed for a 20" wheel? Or did you fit 20" forks to a standard frameset? Its just that the steering head angle looks steep. If that is the case do you find it has any impact on handling? Having said that I have found that recumbents are much more tolerant of different wheel sets. I've swapped around between 28 /26 and 24" quite happily.
Campag

Post by Campag »

The frameset was supplied without forks, and in the informative notes from the supplier a few different wheel combinations were suggested. I find the handling is fine, it feels predictable at different speeds. Even with the smaller front wheel it is still quite a long wheelbase so I suppose that helps. Forks are chinese carbon fibre ones marketed as for BMX so (I hope) quite robust.
speedy7777

Post by speedy7777 »

deleted
swscotland bentrider

Thanks for that. Nice looking bike!
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Taking a step back on this. A reason I was interested in a high racer was due to how little I can see round corners/cars on the commute. I now wonder whether a highracer would make a difference, I will still be very far back at intersections (vs a df) and too low to see over cars. So a highracer would only give me the advantage of a larger front wheel...
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
swscotland bentrider

My high racer seat height is 60cm. I use open cockpit steering. The seat is in mid position (Gaucho tour, so adjustable) and fairly upright. Vision and situational awareness is noticeably better than my Fuego. I can see over most cars. Still a bit further back than a DF at junctions though.
nobrakes

Post by nobrakes »

Just in case OP is still looking... adding my tuppenceworth.

I had a Cruzbike V20. It's not very high for a high racer, forward visibility was excellent. Very comfortable but I couldn't relax enough to be comfortable at high speed. If you try to ride it up steep wet hills, it's useless. I am surrounded by steep hills and it rains a lot. I sold it after 9 months. If it weren't for the traction issues it would be a killer bike.

I've tried the Pelso Brevet and it's an excellent bike. If you don't like the stick design you probably won't like it - it does bend a bit in the middle but not a huge amount. I think any high racer with open cockpit bars requires peering through a lot of obstruction if you ride with a reasonably laid back seat - I didn't like the view at my preferred seat angle of around 20 degrees. If you like a higher seat angle, it's a brilliant bike, very placid and easy to control, very light, flies up hills. I really liked it. Very adjustable - seat and bars.

There's also the new Schlitter Freestyle which I haven't tried but looks similar in geometry to the Pelso. I imagine will be a fair bit cheaper being aluminium.

Anything by Nazca is always a winner :)

Lastly there's the bike I finally settled on - the M5 CHR. It's a bit more speed oriented and has restricted tyre size on the back, but I love it to bits. Most comfortable high racer I've ridden and it just soaks up the miles. Raise the return chain and add a lifting tiller - it's then a very easy to handle bike and is the most fun I've had on a high racer. Also the M5 M racer which is much the same but steel and a fair bit cheaper. A bit closer to the ground although the CHR is pretty low as well.

In terms of visibility at junctions etc I think you want either open cockpit bars or a lifting tiller - when I first tried the CHR I found junctions really stressful because I was pinned into the bike by the fixed tiller. You couldn't see a thing round corners at junctions if there were bushes or other obstructions. Once the lifting tiller goes on you're sorted. Being able to sit up makes situational awareness much simpler, and launching much less stressful.
yelfordrover

Post by yelfordrover »

I'm selling my M5 CHR if you're interested? Fairly standard set-up with hamster bars.
CoriumGL

Post by CoriumGL »

speedy7777 wrote:Better pics of the scopa. Its an amazing bike at a good price. Got some 10k local Kom s on it in the summer (about 15 mins) The major advantage that i can see vs a bachetta is that the seat position is fixed and it has an adjustabe boom. About £1100 total using a new frame and a mix of new and second hand parts. The wheels are 26" and the forks are off ali express meant for 24" wheels but work well with the 26" wheels and 28mm tyres. Larger tyres wouldnt work but it does have about 4mm clearance like this.

Hi Speedy - can you contact me re the Scopa - thinking of getting one but daunted by all the potential permutations one can explore. Be great to have a chat. I have just joined the group so cant pm yet. Graham
Campag

Post by Campag »

Hi - I also have a Velomotion scopa, set up with 27.5" rear wheel and 20" front. If you pm me I can send pictures and answer any questions about the setup.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

nobrakes wrote:Just in case OP is still looking... adding my tuppenceworth.

Hi,

I found your site on a recent google. It's interesting as you went the other way as a yacfer who ditched the M5 racer for the cruzbike.

Interesting to see that Darkerside was a fan whereas Dave McC was a little underwhelmed.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
nobrakes

Post by nobrakes »

Yes, I think you need to find the one that works for you. It’s great we have so much choice!
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

The laidback world is very exciting, yes. The downside is that you really need to spend some time (more than a test ride) on a bike to see what you think. That can be very expensive!
I'm still thinking about a new laidback, something lighter and without suspension (to compare with my SPM) and a highracer would make a lot of sense (as I'm tall enough). Realistically though it's all about what shows up second hand (i.e. in my price range) (and it may be moot as I may need to spend that on getting my wife an e-bike).
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

I have a Speedmachine and a Bacchetta Strada, I'd recommend the combination. Speedmachine for cold, foul and very windy days, the Strada for long sunny rides or anywhere with significant hills and when cycling with non-recumbent friends (the Strada provides a little tow the Speedmachine none).

Finding a second hand highracer; that's harder
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

I've seen a couple M5s FS and there are a couple very nice Fujin SLIIs for sale on BHPC. I'd consider a Fujin SL, but I need something much more abused and cheap.