Nazca Gaucho 28

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
swscotland bentrider

Nazca Gaucho 28

Post by swscotland bentrider »

Ive attached some images of my latest build. I decided to add a Gaucho to the stable to run alongside my Fuego. :D I chose the 28 Tour frameset because I wanted disc brakes and because of its versatility. I figured that because the ride height can be adjusted to one of three positions the bike could accommodate different wheel sizes without upsetting its handling or roadholding. So far that seems to be my experience. I have ridden it with 28/28 wheels, 28 / 26 and 26/26. With 28/26 I lowered the ride height to roughly maintain the correct frame angles. For the other two sets I left it at the mid setting. So far handling seems excellent with all wheels. The chainset is a 34/48 Tiagra with 165mm cranks. 11 - 36 cassette. I've had it supplied with an air shock and a carbon seat.
Attachments
28/28 setup
28/28 setup
28/26 setup
28/26 setup
hercule

Re: Nazca Gaucho 28

Post by hercule »

Just the sort of thing I’d like but unfortunately my legs are too short... :( My Pashley PDQ had me on tiptoes.

How does it compare weight wise with the Fuego? Plus the stem... is it the standard Nazca version? It looks steeper than the one on my Fuego, which I could do with to clear my knees.
swscotland bentrider

Its the standard Nazca stem mounted on 3 spacers.
swscotland bentrider

My apologies hercule, I didn't respond to your query about weight. Nazca's own literature suggests the Gaucho Tour is about 1 kilo heavier than a Fuego. That sounds about right for their standard build. I have substituted an air shock and carbon seat and removed the rear carrier. My wheels are, I suspect, a little lighter too. So it feels about the same weight, perhaps a little lighter than my Fuego. Much of the weight is in the super strong forks. I had them out at one stage and they feel like they weigh the best part of two kilos. I am going to substitute a carbon trekking type fork if I can find one in 11/8" straight steerer. Certainly when you lift the bike it feels front heavy. I'm not getting too hung up on weight. I'm at an age when speed is an occasional event. What I wanted was a different riding experience from the Fuego and it certainly provides that!
recumbentpanda

Post by recumbentpanda »

I would be really interested to hear what the difference in riding experience is -although it would take a lot to persuade me off my Fuego! :)
swscotland bentrider

So far the riding has been confined to fettling runs But here are my first impressions using my Fuego as a reference point.

Launching: Even though I have had high racers before it felt intimidating. After half a dozen starts it feels much easier. However this is where the Fuego beats it by quite a margin. The Fuego can be launched without really having to think about it. On the Gaucho you have to settle yourself and focus on what you are doing.

Riding: Slightly more upright and with an open cockpit steering arrangement it feels more stable at low speed with more control. I can ride my Fuego to well below walking pace so I think part of the explanation is that the steering is less sensitive (and more natural?) A higher bike is inherently more stable anyway.

Speed: To early to say but it does feel a little bit livelier at lowish speed with good response to pedal input.

Braking: Not yet bedded in.

I'll report back once i have taken it over some of my familiar routes.

Not parting with my Fuego!
hercule

Post by hercule »

I find my Fuego is much more manageable at low speed with OC bars. The only real disadvantage is that I have to have the seat as far upright as possible as my wee short arms can’t reach the bars otherwise! The tiller certainly feels better at speed - perhaps because of the larger steering inputs required.