Any AZUB trike owners out there?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong
Posts: 941
Joined: 31 May 2009, 12:16pm
Location: Portsmouth, Hampshire

Re: Any AZUB trike owners out there?

Postby UpWrong » 1 Mar 2020, 4:35pm

Got it working on the bike stand and I can use the full capacity of the derailleur. The b-screw makes a really big difference to shifting quality but it's not very precise when changing to a lower gear, you have to overshift slightly to make the transition. I've had this on uprights with Shimano 9 speed Alivio shifters. No doubt the long cable run on the trike doesn't help.

Have to say I am worried about trashing the rear derailleur on the ground should I get a flat. On some cogs it appears to extend beyond the wheel rim. The M592 cage length is about 10cm compared to the Sora's 7.5cm.

Given the lack of shifting precision and my concern with trashing the RD, I am inclined to try an SRAM x9 RD. The cage length is 9.25cm and the 1:1 actuation ratio is vastly superior to the 2:1 Shimano's. I have no idea whether it's movement will be limited by the chain stay or not at this stage. I would need to fit an SRAM shifter of course. I have an unused X7 twist grip which ICE was selling off cheap, I will need to change the handlebar grip.

User avatar
Tigerbiten
Posts: 2051
Joined: 29 Jun 2009, 6:49am

Re: Any AZUB trike owners out there?

Postby Tigerbiten » 1 Mar 2020, 7:56pm

My experience of hitting a derailleur onto the ground is you don't trash the derailleur.
It tends to fold up a bit more, unless your on the biggest sprocket then there's room for the lower jockey wheel to move up while the upper one moves forward against the tensioning spring.
But you may have to double check you haven't bend the derailleur hanger afterward.
It was only after I started dropping the chain inward off the big sprocket that I actually realized that I had hit something with the derailleur.

Luck ........... :D

hemo
Posts: 774
Joined: 16 Nov 2017, 5:40pm
Location: West Sussex

Re: Any AZUB trike owners out there?

Postby hemo » 2 Mar 2020, 9:07pm

A road link would make shifting better/smother though it means the derailleur hanging a further 20/25mm lower.

UpWrong
Posts: 941
Joined: 31 May 2009, 12:16pm
Location: Portsmouth, Hampshire

Re: Any AZUB trike owners out there?

Postby UpWrong » 2 Mar 2020, 10:43pm

hemo wrote:A road link would make shifting better/smother though it means the derailleur hanging a further 20/25mm lower.


I don't see why, I'm only using an 11-32 cassette. The shadow derailleur has a link/axle unit and you're right, that means the derailleur hangs lower. I've now fitted a long cage SRAM X9 RD and it doesn't extend anything like as far down as the shadow derailleur did. I still need to fit a matching shifter.

UpWrong
Posts: 941
Joined: 31 May 2009, 12:16pm
Location: Portsmouth, Hampshire

Re: Any AZUB trike owners out there?

Postby UpWrong » 6 Mar 2020, 10:42pm

Road test and photos tomorrow, if i can get it out of the lounge :lol:

I've fitted the twist grip shifter for the rear in the same orientation as the trigger shifter, so the cable loops up before coming back down into the handlebar. The X9 RD cage is also restricted in its outward movement by the chain stay (gear 9 only), but only slightly and screwing the B-screw in a bit stops that by bringing the cage back and down.
EDIT: X9 is 215g, 60g lighter than the Sora RD3000.

UpWrong
Posts: 941
Joined: 31 May 2009, 12:16pm
Location: Portsmouth, Hampshire

Re: Any AZUB trike owners out there?

Postby UpWrong » 9 Mar 2020, 6:24pm

Photos:
IMG_20200309_124344.jpg
IMG_20200309_124325.jpg
IMG_20200309_124258.jpg
IMG_20200309_124220.jpg
IMG_20200309_124157.jpg

UpWrong
Posts: 941
Joined: 31 May 2009, 12:16pm
Location: Portsmouth, Hampshire

Re: Any AZUB trike owners out there?

Postby UpWrong » 9 Mar 2020, 6:31pm

More photos:
IMG_20200309_124700.jpg

IMG_20200309_124455.jpg

IMG_20200309_124359.jpg

OldBloke
Posts: 115
Joined: 15 Jul 2014, 3:34am

Re: Any AZUB trike owners out there?

Postby OldBloke » 10 Mar 2020, 2:38am

Very nice!

nigelnightmare
Posts: 681
Joined: 19 Sep 2016, 10:33pm

Re: Any AZUB trike owners out there?

Postby nigelnightmare » 10 Mar 2020, 11:13am

Very nice.
I wouldn't worry about the rear derailleur hitting the ground, it looks to be about the same as my ICE trikes.

Be careful if going across grass (especially just cut) as it can get tangled around the jockey wheels potentially pulling the rear derailleur off!

User avatar
Tigerbiten
Posts: 2051
Joined: 29 Jun 2009, 6:49am

Re: Any AZUB trike owners out there?

Postby Tigerbiten » 10 Mar 2020, 1:02pm

Another up vote.

Looks like it still needs mirrors and some form of parking brake.

Luck ............ :D

UpWrong
Posts: 941
Joined: 31 May 2009, 12:16pm
Location: Portsmouth, Hampshire

Re: Any AZUB trike owners out there?

Postby UpWrong » 10 Mar 2020, 1:32pm

Tigerbiten wrote:Another up vote.

Looks like it still needs mirrors and some form of parking brake.

Luck ............ :D


The brake levers have locking catches which are usable. I have "Take-a-look" eye-wear mirrors which I find work great on two-wheelers but for some reason aren't as satisfactory on trikes. They're ok but a mirror on the end of the handlebar would be easier to use.The internal handlebar cabling via the bar-end precludes the use of a Mirrcycle mirror which I have, unless I can find or fashion some alternative clamp.

I have to admit I was a cheapskate. I bought the basic trike not wanting to fork out for accessories which I wasn't sure I needed, and at full price from AZUB. I'm using a Topeak handlebar extender for the front light, but there's not enough space on the derailleur tube above the FD clamp to clamp it securely so I have now ordered a Minoura mount off Amazon. There are no bottle bosses on the AZUB, I have used a £3 strap on bottle adapter from Decathlon which also I already had. It doesn't fit on the massively oversized main frame tube though.

UpWrong
Posts: 941
Joined: 31 May 2009, 12:16pm
Location: Portsmouth, Hampshire

Re: Any AZUB trike owners out there?

Postby UpWrong » 10 Mar 2020, 1:35pm

nigelnightmare wrote:Very nice.
I wouldn't worry about the rear derailleur hitting the ground, it looks to be about the same as my ICE trikes.

Be careful if going across grass (especially just cut) as it can get tangled around the jockey wheels potentially pulling the rear derailleur off!


Thanks, I think the SRAM x9 RD doesn't quite extend beyond the rim whereas the Shimano Deore Shadow one did.

User avatar
squeaker
Posts: 3634
Joined: 12 Jan 2007, 11:43pm
Location: Sussex

Re: Any AZUB trike owners out there?

Postby squeaker » 11 Mar 2020, 10:27am

Nice, but I'm not sure I'd want the nozzle of my waterbottle anywhere near the wheels ;)

PS: is that a bar bag mount to the right rear of the seat?
"42"

UpWrong
Posts: 941
Joined: 31 May 2009, 12:16pm
Location: Portsmouth, Hampshire

Re: Any AZUB trike owners out there?

Postby UpWrong » 11 Mar 2020, 7:58pm

Yes, it's AZUB's bar bag mount. I had an Ortlieb bag that wasn't being used, and a number of people have said how handy it is having a bag you can reach easily so I got the mount.

I went out on Monday in rather wet weather on some muddy single track roads and I didn't notice any extra flavour, or grit, when drinking from the bottle :lol: . It's not usable on the move though, not without risking fingers, so I might end up looking into the SKS mount.

I completed a circumnavigation of Portsmouth today making use of some roads and paths I haven't used before. Whilst having coffee sitting opposite the Warrior (reclined in the trike seat of course) a young man came to look at the T-Tris and said he had a Sprint X. Unfortunately his bus turned up and cut our conversation short.

nigelnightmare
Posts: 681
Joined: 19 Sep 2016, 10:33pm

Re: Any AZUB trike owners out there?

Postby nigelnightmare » 16 Mar 2020, 6:26pm

UpWrong wrote:
Tigerbiten wrote:Another up vote.

Looks like it still needs mirrors and some form of parking brake.

Luck ............ :D


The brake levers have locking catches which are usable. I have "Take-a-look" eye-wear mirrors which I find work great on two-wheelers but for some reason aren't as satisfactory on trikes. They're ok but a mirror on the end of the handlebar would be easier to use.The internal handlebar cabling via the bar-end precludes the use of a Mirrcycle mirror which I have, unless I can find or fashion some alternative clamp.

I have to admit I was a cheapskate. I bought the basic trike not wanting to fork out for accessories which I wasn't sure I needed, and at full price from AZUB. I'm using a Topeak handlebar extender for the front light, but there's not enough space on the derailleur tube above the FD clamp to clamp it securely so I have now ordered a Minoura mount off Amazon. There are no bottle bosses on the AZUB, I have used a £3 strap on bottle adapter from Decathlon which also I already had. It doesn't fit on the massively oversized main frame tube though.


ICE sell mirror mounts that clamp on to the handlebars